1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14-45 sample variation?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Jun 10, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm looking for a better alternative to my m.ZD 14-42II, which has been an okay, but hardly stellar lens.

The Panasonic 14-45 has been by far the best-reviewed of the kit lenses. Now I had the Panasonic 14-45 for a period last year, so I decided to go back and review some of the images I took with it. So far I've been underwhelmed. Especially at the wide-angle, many images where almost everything should be sharp (14mm, f/5.6, base ISO, 1/250s or faster, inf. focus) aren't really.

So I'm wondering whether I had a dud (it was certainly sharper than the m.ZD 14-42mk1 I had) or whether the 14-45's reputation is somewhat exaggerated? Sample (100% crop, left side) below:

i-2C9t4WH.

Thanks!

DH

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Here's a sample picture of my Panny 14-45mm, set at 14mm and f/5.6. It has been developed in LR4.1 with CA automatically removed. In your example the sign in the lower left corner may have been just outside the depth-of-field zone when looking at 100 % viewing, considering you focussed at infinity. Obviously sharpness in the corner is not as good as in the center, which is always very visible with trees against sky. I'd say my sample is about as good as yours.

P2-XL.

Here's another one of a less critical subject, taken at 14mm and f/6.3.

P-XL.

3. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    If I am doing landscapes, I prefer taking the 14-45mm out as it has the convenient (for me) 52mm filter size. So far, I have been extremely happy with this lens. I have posted a few photos on the native lens sample image thread (added 2 today), and I found it to be good. I don't pixel peep or do 100% crops, but I like what I see :smile:.

4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Just in case I'll ask the Question: did you have both stabilizations on?

I know my 14-45 was a great lens, but then again I now have their follow-up 14-42 which gets less love, and I am more than satisfied.

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks for the samples. Yes, they do look similar for the edge crops. But the falloff in resolution from the center is pretty dramatic, no? Certainly more than the 20% or so photozone forecasts between the center and edges.

DH

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Was going to say the same about IS. I got a run of pictures from my 14-45 that were not as sharp as I expected. Turns out I had left the OIS on for these bright light, outdoor pictures, and that was the difference between what I expected and what I had gotten...

7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Off. Save for very unusual circumstances, I always leave stabilization off, both on the lens and in the camera. I don't trust it for anything other than very low shutter speeds!

DH

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    My pics were made with a GH2 (16 MP), so the perceived differences are expected to be higher than the measurements of Photozone done with a G1 (12 MP). And I always find it difficult to translate resolution figures into a real-world experience; even if the image looks ugly it's often possible to distinguish the lines of a resolution chart which is a one-dimensional measurement after all. I'm quite happy with the 14-45mm, but of course it's not perfect, no lens is.

And for the record, I use this lens with OIS on all the time, I usually forget to switch it off when using a tripod. No issues at all so far.

• Like Like x 1