1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14-45 mm or Olympus 12-50 mm zoom

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by AndrewS, Oct 6, 2012.

1. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    After several months of testing and many hundreds of matched photos my comparative review of these two lenses is now up at Camera Ergonomics Each of these lenses has a different character. The Olympus aims for greater versatility, the Panasonic for better outright optical performance. Happy reading

• Like Like x 6
  2. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Andrew, very interesting write up... I don't own nor have I ever used the Oly lens, but I do own the Panny 14-45 and I am pretty happy with it. I would have liked a little more reach at the wide angle end, but I guess that would probably make it bigger or maybe optically more compromised. As it stands it is quite a good performer, and suits me just fine.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Andrew,
    Great review, and its conclusions are in line with my experience (I own both lenses). Four things you might want to mention, however, are:

(a) weather-sealing: the Oly is weather-sealed, the Panny isn't. This really doesn't matter unless you have a weather-sealed body, but remember the Oly was sold as the kit lens for the OM-D which is also weather-sealed.

(b) size--the Oly is considerably longer, albeit thinner. But the reason it's longer is partly because of . . .

(c) macro! The Oly is a pretty darn good macro lens. You can get very close with the Panny, but it's not a macro lens and will make it unsuitable for certain shots that the Oly was designed for,

(d) OIS; the Panny has it, the Oly doesn't. Not only that, but the OIS in the Panny is particularly good and can be manually turned on/off with a switch on the lens itself, a big advantage for some Oly shooters--for example, those saddled with the ineffective IBIS in the E-PM1.

As you can see, I like both and that's why I keep both. The Oly has largely replaced my legacy macro lens, and is my go-to lens when conditions are dicey. The Panny is an overall better lens, and is definitely the one I'd put on my E-PM1 if I want any IS. I tend to use the Panny much more, but the Oly has an important role in my bag as well.

4. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    As a owner of the 14-45mm Using the OM-D, I can tell you the the lens is pretty sharp (but not nearly as the 20mm), but it has noticable CA sometimes, that you really have to remove in LR to make the image usable.

If you have an Olympus body I would go for the 12-50mm because overall it has very good features. But if you have a panasonic body I would go for the 14-45mm because: a) it's cheaper b) it has OIS