1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14-45 mm lens My New Favorite lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CWRailman, Jul 25, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Based on the conversations we had in this revived thread https://www.mu-43.com/threads/30468/ I purchased a Panasonic 14-45mm lens for my E-M10. It arrived today and I believe I have found my new favorite lens for the E-M10. Panasonic%2014x45%20on%20Olympus%20002b.
    Panasonic%2014x45%20on%20Olympus%20004b.
    Panasonic%2014x45%20on%20Olympus%20005b.
    Panasonic%2014x45%20on%20Olympus%20007b.
    Panasonic%2014x45%20on%20Olympus%20009b.
    I am not one who carries my camera in my right hand. Like we did with SLR’s I carry in my left hand and bring it up to my eye and then introduce my right hand to take the image. As a result the camera usually rides in my left hand and balance is important. With this lens the camera feels well proportioned and balanced and the zoom feels good and though it has focus by wire instead of a mechanical mechanism, the focus seems precise.

Though it is again over 100 degrees today, my first test images shot out the back door showed better image IQ then what I was getting from my Olympus 14-42 kit lens. The bonus I had mentioned in the other thread is that this lens uses a 52mm thread lens filter which is the same as my old Pentax SLR cameras. Hence I have a load of filters for this camera.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Did you get a sharp example? I hope so, mine seems good at all lengths.

The switch on the side (I'm told) enables you to have stabilised video on Olympus bodies ...

3. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I have some cast detailed planters sitting on a wall on my patio. (I murdered the plants about 3 years ago but left the decrative planters.) In testing cameras and lenses I open the back door and aim at those planters which are about 15 feet away from the door. Then I import the images into my puter and pixel peep, zoom in, to see how much detail gets brought in. I can also determine depth of field or lack of my assessing the stucco detail on the wall which is about 12 behind the planters. So far it appears that the lens is sharp at both wide and telephoto lengths when shot at f5.6 and 8.0. I did not do any other testing at this time.

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Congrats, a great little lens.

It was my very first M43 lens, a few years ago now, sadly no longer with me.

I did consider re-purchasing one, but changed my mind due to resale value (low) of the 12-40.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Excellent lens!

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If you're happy with f5.6 at the long end then for sure it's a great lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Where did you get this lens and how much? I'm also interested in getting this one as I sold my Oly 14-42 and needed a cheap sharper replacement. Thanks!

8. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I bought my Panasonic 14-45mm from an Ebay seller for a negotiated price of $135. At this time there is another one listed there for sale at $140 plus $10 for shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-L...195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aed8b0e0b There is another one for a similar price available from a seller in Japan.

Except for one recent item I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1999 and have only had one issue with a seller which ironically happened just recently and is at this time in arbitration.

By the way, I still have two of the Oly 14-42 kit lenses which came with my E-M10’s and this Panasonic 14-45mm lens is sharper than either of them. In fact I took some images and compared it to my Oly 45mm lens and in shooting JPG I did not see much difference when pixel peeping. In addition it just “feels better” as the zoom and focus rings both have rubberized covers where as the Oly rings feel like plastic. The focus ring also seems a bit more positive than the Oly but that is a subjective observation.

When I was shooting film my favorite walk around lens was the 35-70mm. I had two of them each from different manufactures. I sometimes wished that they had been the same size and a reasonably priced 28-85. This Panasonic lens gives me the equivalent of 28-90 which means it covers all the fields of view that I appreciate for my type of shooting. I’m sure that one of the PRO lenses might be better and sharper but they are bigger and heavier and obviously more costly. For my money this P 14-45 is a winner.

9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Right.. I have a 14-54 Zuiko lens that's fast but it's big and bulky. I missed the Oly 14-42 a lot after I sold it with my E-PL1 because the barrel got so loose, the image was not asymmetrical anymore. This seemed like its perfect and affordable! Thanks for the tip!

• Like Like x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 14-45 is a great lens, but the new Panasonic 14-42mm II is just as good optically (if not a hair better), but is significantly smaller and lighter and doesn't extend more than a few mm when zooming. It has very nice build for a kit lens, with a lot of metal. I'd give that one a strong consideration, too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Not always. Sometimes VERY not ... recently.

13. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    That's reassuring, as I wondered after buying the 14-45 if I should have gone with the cheaper 14-42 II instead. I got the 14-45 to replace my Oly. 14-42 IIr after reading a lot of positive comments. Zero regrets! It's a favorite for me, too. The Oly. lens is capable of resolving fine detail a little better, but is not as sharp or contrasty across the frame. Plus, my copy of the Oly. is very unreliable for some reason.