Panasonic 14-42 X Power Zoom Lens - Another Sample Variation Experience!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I previously owned this lens, which I bought new from a Panasonic GF3 kit. At the time I thought the lens was quite soft at 42mm and eventually sold it. The other day I was scouring through the Amazon Warehouse website, and found a used GF3+14-42 X kit selling for cheap with Prime coverage. I thought what the heck, I can always return it to Amazon if it's in bad condition. Yesterday I received the kit, opened the box and saw that the camera and lens showed significant signs of use and slight barrel damage to the lens. I thought to myself I better just return it, but on closer inspection the glass on the lens was clean and everything seemed to function normal.

Anyways, I decided to test the lens out already expecting it to be soft on the long end and not very good, but to my surprise the copy of this lens was actually decent at 42mm on both my E-M10 and E-PM2! It's not 45mm 1.8 sharp, but it definitely looked better than my previous copy and my recently sold 12-50 EZ lens! I always liked the concept and design of this lens, but the optical output from my first copy was below my expectations and was also panned by many reviewers. Amazingly, this beat up copy of the lens is sharp throughout the focal range. To make a long story short, I'm keeping the lens and I've already lined up a buyer for the GF3!

For the price I paid, even with the slight barrel damage, I still paid way below used market prices. As mentioned in other threads like mine, it's definitely worth trying different samples if possible. I'll try posting pictures later this week!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Slap an auto lens cap on it and it's gold!