Panasonic 14-42 PZ

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdk42, Apr 13, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi all,

I've had a 12-35 for about a year and whilst it's an excellent lens, I'm finding I do most of my shots with primes these days so it seldom gets an outing. When it does get used, it tends to be for casual walk-around use in the daytime. So, I'm thinking of replacing it with something smaller and cheaper. As luck would have it, a friend has just purchased an E-M10 with the new Oly 14-42 pancake and he's selling his old Panasonic 14-42 PZ.

I've got it for a few days on a sale or return basis and TBH, I'm fairly impressed with it. At 14mm, it's actually pretty damned close to the 12-35. I doubt I could tell them apart unless the images were side-by-side and even then it's a very small difference - just some better resolution of fine detail at the frame edge by the 12-35. At longer focal lengths (specifically, at 35mm), the 12-35 is noticeably better, but I think I can live with that for the intended use. It's slower of course, which would rule out low-light shots, but I'll usually have a prime or two with me to cover that.

The size is great too, especially when paired with my E-P5. So, I'm tempted, but then I look at the reviews which are generally fairly uninspiring (except for one by Ming Thein who rather liked it).

Any views?

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I had it for a short while. It is very nice, good contrast, great form factor for a versatile walk around zoom. It did not handle flare too well, but other than that its great. I think its underrated. If you are getting it for a good price, don't hesitate.

I think it got bad reviews (unfairly) because there was an issue with shutter shock on the GX1 when it was first bundled as a kit. I think that was more the camera than the lens and I'm not sure but it may have been fixed with a firmware update. I only got rid of it to make room for the 12-32 (which I still haven't purchased) which will give me more on the wide end and the same form factor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.