1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

panasonic 14-140mm old vs new

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nirok, Aug 21, 2015.

1. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Hey,

I wanna get the 14-140mm to my g6... do you think the new version worth the extra 200$?

take in mind that I dont care about the size and weight...

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have had both. I upgraded to the Mk II because of the significantly lighter weight and because it's slightly more compact. Probably the pixel-peepers will tell you that the Mk II is a little sharper but for my purposes (travel photography, no huge enlargements, no major cropping) they are equivalent. So ... for you, probably not worth the extra money.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'd probably echo oldracer. I have the old 14-140. It's good enough for my purposes with it.

One difference is that not only is the maximum aperture faster on the new one, but the lens is actually faster throughout the zoom range, which may or may not be important to you. About a 1/3-stop at every part of the focal range until the very long end.

http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2013/08/lumix-g-hd-14-140mm-f35-56-review.html

lumix+g+hd+14-140mm+new+and+old+aperture+range.

The other difference is the image stabilization. The new Power OIS should be slightly more effective for stills, but it may be more susceptible to shutter shock (if that's a thing that worries you), and has some micro-jitters in video that won't be present with the older, albeit less effective, Mega OIS.

I was happy to save the money when I bought my old version, and prices have tumbled on it even further since then.

4. nirok

nirok Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2014
    Thank you guys, I think I will go with the first version

5. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
  6. loskexos

loskexos Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Stuttgart
    On top of what was already listed:
    Close focus is a tad better on the new one (larger magnification ratios).
    AF Focus Speed is said to be a little better on the new one (did not really notice that myself during the time I had both).
    The new one also has already received a firmware update for the GX8 Dual-IS. Which is irrelevant for the G6 of course.
    The new one has 58mm filter thread, the old one 62mm.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The only reason I haven't bought the old one at $299 is the weight. It's heavier than the 35-100mm f2.8

8. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    One difference, it´s little but its there: the hood from the new one is rounder. If you want to put it on a table it will easily fall down.

9. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I had the original version on a GH-1 when that camera was introduced. Performance was very disappointing beyond 70mm. Now I have the current model on an E-M1. The difference in resolution at the long end is startling. Plus it's smaller and lighter. So for me it's an easy decision.

• Informative Informative x 1