1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14-140mm & EM-5 plus other lens queries

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by simonhickie, Dec 22, 2012.

1. simonhickie

simonhickie New to Mu-43

As a newcomer to the m43 world with a GH1 and Panasonic 14-140mm lens, I am considering going the whole hog and selling all my Nikon DX gear in favour of an E-M5. In the UK, EM-5s bought before the end of the year from a suitable dealer can claim a 45mm f1.8 free of charge.

I currently do my GH1 raw conversions in DxO, mainly for the excellent lens corrections and noise reduction capabilities. However, the EM-5 and 14-140 is not a supported combination. I'm not a huge fan of either Lightroom or Camera Raw but will use them if I have to. My first question is, therefore, do others use the 14-140 with the EM-5 and if so, what raw converter do you use to overcome the distortion and CA issues?

Secondly, if the 14-140mm can be used successfully with the EM-5, I'd be looking to supplement the 'free' 45mm with some additional fast primes to get some more DoF contol as well as avoiding tripod use as much as possible. The 14mm Panasonic, 19mm & 30mm Sigmas and the 20mm Panasonics spring to mind - with up to three probably being chosen from this group. DxO supports all of these with the EM-5. My budget probably precludes the 12mm & 75mm offerings. Suggestions and recommendations most welcome.

I should add that I have broad interests with architecture, street & documentary, landscape and event photography well up there.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The 14 - 140 is a superb lens - I have one
    However if i was going to move to an Olympus OM-D (from a Panasonic body) I would sell the 14 - 140 and buy the Olympus 14 - 150mm
    The image quality is quite similar if very slightly inferior to the 14 - 140 perhaps ? but the lens is much smaller, less bulky / much more compact and far lighter and is a better match for the size of the OM-D
    Would this also solve your RAW convertor dilemma ?
    Regards
    Rob

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    By the way - welcome to the forum from the Isle of Wight
    Rob

4. When I started using Lightroom 4.1 I found that I could easily remove the CA issues that I had experienced when using the 14-140mm on an Olympus body.

5. simonhickie

simonhickie New to Mu-43

Thanks Rob & Nic. Since I picked up the GH1 & 14-140 for £350, there's certainly room for a bit of trading via the auction site. I'd probably be looking to use the 14-140 or 14-150 as I do my Nikon 18-200mm VR - general walkabout, family, dogs etc. Yes, the 14-150 Oly would solve the PP issues - I really rate DxO as a RAW converter (second only to Capture NX for Nikon files) - and new prices seem to have fallen recently.