1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14-140 v2 image quality evaluation

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by greenjp, Jul 12, 2016.

1. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Howdy folks. I recently acquired a Panasonic 14-140 v2. I'll provide the back story later, but I wanted to see if you all would mind inspecting some photos and letting me know if you see any performance issues. Here is a series of shots of the proverbial brick wall, starting at 14mm and going out to 140mm. All taken on a GX7, OIS on, e-shutter, ISO 400, raw processed in Optics Pro 11 with the standard settings, 90% quality JPG output.

14mm at 3.5 and then 5.6
    27656500913_77e2270883_o. P1190145_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr
    28237691716_9746c19a5d_o. P1190153_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr

26mm at 5.6 and then 7.1
    28271703795_db8f4fec36_o. P1190154_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr
    28271706395_ccb8fdffeb_o. P1190152_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr

46mm at 5.6 and then 7.1
    27656302934_9a349143ce_o. P1190155_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr
    28271705535_dbd1e60165_o. P1190151_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr

and 140mm at 5.6 and 7.1
    27656501883_352ff4d497_o. P1190148_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr
    28168048442_77861b6843_o. P1190150_DxO by Jeff Green, on Flickr

Please let me know what you think of these shots, when I have some feedback (or if a few days goes by without!) I'll reveal the reason behind the request :drinks:

jeff

2. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Hi, Jeff! This lens has a great reputation. Are you concerned about the possibility that your lens is decentered? Just looking at your web-size images, it's clear that the left edge is soft in many of them. Could that be because you were taking pictures of the wall at an angle? Also, was your area of focus in the center of the frame?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Well since the first response matched with what I thought I was seeing, here's the background. (FWIW I was shooting straight at the wall, with a single point focus box directly in the center of the frame)

Picked up this lens from ebay for much less than the going rate. The catch was that the lens mount was cracked (so much for metal mounts!), at about the 4-5 o'clock position if looking at the mount end with the red dot at 12. The listing did make a note of the crack and the pictures showed it, so in that regard I knew what I was getting. However the ad also stated the condition as just plain "Used", which in eBay's terms means "...The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended..."

The lens was further described by the seller with a grade of "Good." Additional descriptions included "It works properly" and "This lens works fine with no problems." Figured best case it would be as described and I'd have a heck of a bargain, worst case it wouldn't be and I'd have to take advantage of eBay's liberal buyer protection.

Upon receipt of the lens I see that not only is the mount cracked but it is also not uniformly seated in the lens body. At about the 8 o'clock position the mount is sticking out ~2mm, whereas on the opposite side it is nearly flush as it's supposed to be - I think this explains the softness which seems to be worst on the lower left side. This suggests that one or more of the 3 screws probably is no longer secured correctly and/or that the mount is bent in addition to being cracked. It's also apparent that someone has used an adhesive to hold the mount in place in a fairly sloppy repair attempt. hmm...

In addition to the softness on the left side, there's an intermittent connection problem where the camera says "Lens attachment failed. Please make sure the lens is attached correctly."

It seems to work fine otherwise and the glass is clean. Given the stated condition and additional details, I believed that the damage to the mount was cosmetic rather than functional, and that the lens would be fully operational and work with no problems as stated. I consider "a properly uniform focused image" as an important aspect of proper function, and none of my other lenses ever have a connection problem, so I don't think it's quite in the condition as described.

I emailed the seller and am waiting for a response. I'm kicking around asking for a partial refund sufficient to cover the cost of a new mount, or just asking for a return. We'll see.

4. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Your purchase was a risky one. I hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

Besides the softness on the left, some of your shots look crooked. I have a similar problem with a brand new lens. My copy of the 12-32 lens (came with a GX85) seems to be a little crooked on the camera. Besides not looking quite right physically - no matter how straight I try to shoot with it, the images I get make it appear that the camera was pointed right of center, like yours. They are also just a bit softer on one side than the other (not as badly as yours, but it's there). This prompted me to do some research, which confirmed that an uneven mount can cause these effects. I need to do further tests with my E-M5 II before attempting to replace the lens - no hurry, since I have a 3-year warranty.

5. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    Yes, there was an element of risk. I studied the ebay policy and carefully studied the listing so I think I will be OK. Further I am always looking for a deal and am pretty adventurous when it comes to trying to fix things so this was right up my alley :). We shall see how it goes.