1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 14-140 on GX1 ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Sootchucker, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    HI all. Recently purchased my first m4/3 camera a Panasonic GX1, and still getting to know it. It came with the new pancake PZ 14-42 X lens, which to be perfectly honest, is pretty poor (well at least on my camera). I've seen a number of threads on different forums concerning this lens, and it looks like I have one of the "iffy" lens / camera combinations.

I did also get the camera with the lovely Pancake 20 F1.7, and that shows me the quality the camera is capable of. To that end, and as I'll only really be using the GX1 as a travel and go-anywhere camera, I was thinking of picking up a Panasonic 14-140 lens as a decent range all in one package that can stay on the camera 90% of the time.

So 2 questions please. Is the 14-140 a better quality lens than the 14-42 I have (i.e. sharper), and secondly, having never seen one in the flesh, would the 14-140 be physically too big for the little GX1 or just about right ?

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I think it's far too large and heavy for any non-gripped camera. YMMV but if you want to give it a go I'd either try one before you buy it or get it from a retailer with a good return policy.

You might also consider the 14-45mm (sharp, has OIS, small, but not much reach) or the Olympus 14-150. The downside to the Olympus is that you will have no image stabilisation with your camera. The upside is that it's fairly small, light, relatively inexpensive and pretty good.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    To be contrarian: it's not large, and it's not heavy. 3.3 inches and a hair over 1 lb. It's not a lens you want to shoot one-handed, but then, neither are any of the tele zooms. As with any longer or heavier bit of glass, you hold the camera by the lens, with your left, so you don't need to 'hold on' with the right.

I have zero, nada, problems with the 100-300 (bigger and heavier lens, still small and light for what it is) on either an ungripped E-M5 or the GF-2. Would handling be better on a gripped camera? Probably. Bigger grips are slightly more comfortable (my 5D is more comfortable to hold than any MFT body or any crop sensor DSLR) but that doesn't make smaller grips uncomfortable.

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I should clarify, it's large and heavy when you've tried the 14-150 :)

You're right though, it's perfectly do-able, but for a main lens on a thin camera it's not for me.

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I just came back from two weeks in England, at the Olympics and then in the countryside. The 14-140mm was the lens that spent most of the time on my GX1/LVF2. I'd say it was a perfect match for the camera, and by the way the results from the 14-140 were really great. I'd expected to have to accept performance compromises, but was very pleased with the results.

6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have tried the 14 - 140 on both G3 and GX1.
    I do find it to be a little heavy feeling on the GX1 compared to the G3 which has a bigger grip and the handling as a result is a bit awkward on the GX1
    I do not enjoy using the 14 - 140 on the GX1 as it feels unbalanced compared with using it on the G3
    The gap between the GX1 handgrip and the edge / outside diameter of the 14 -140 is quite small especially with larger fingers like my own and gripping the camera using the handgrip on the GX1 leaves my middle finger feeling cramped when using the 14 - 140
    The Olympus 14 - 150 is indeed much lighter and much smaller but as the previous entry states you will have no image stability
    I always use my Olympus 14 - 150 on my E-PL2 so cannot comment on the lack of Image stabilisation but find it to be a superb all round walk around lens. It has another advantage in that it will accept the Olympus MCON- P01 Macro adaptor if that is of interest
    Rob

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've been shooting with this combination for the past week almost exclusively (GX1, LVF2 and 14-140mm)... just sort of got on a kick of using the 14-140 again. The weight and size doesn't bother me at all, though I seem to have a much higher tolerance than some do.

The 14-140 is a very good lens optically... plenty sharp, good OIS, and it's really not that big IMO for what it is. Yes it's a fairly big lens on the GX1, and I would agree it's more comfortable on my G3 - but clearly, I have no issue with using it on either body as whim and circumstances dictate. As long as you don't expect it to feel like using the 14-42 kit lens or 20mm on your GX1 and go into it with appropriate expectations I think it'd be fine. It weighs about a pound and at full extension it's 6.3" long - so keep that in mind before you decide to try or buy. If that sounds huge and heavy to you, it's probably going to seem that way in person too :wink:

I think this is just one of those things. Some people can't use any large zoom for m4/3 without feeling like it's grossly oversized and uncomfortable, and others like me have no issue with the 14-140, 100-300 etc.

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Sorry to hear you're not happy with the 14-42 powerzoom. I have one and it seems ok, though I suppose I am not overly critical. If you're looking to just replace it, why not try the regular 14-42 or 14-45 kit zooms. If however you want an all in one 10x zoom, then , for a Panasonic body, the 14-140 is really the only game in town.
    Yes, I know some people use the Olympus equivalent, but I am not convinced I would be very happy without any kind of stabilization.

9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I have to agree. You definitely need OIS with the Panasonic body and with 140 fl. It's a big lens but doable and great for its reach. You kind of forget the size because you don't have to chance the lens all the time.

Personally, I sold mine because at least my copy of it was soft at the long end and I used it mainly as a tele. The old Pana 14-45 comes wit great IQ, but then it's shorter also.