Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 Noise

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Lindsay D, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I've just taken delivery of the Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 lens and I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it. It's making a hissing sound (which goes away whilst zooming) and I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this. I have it on my OMD, IBIS on, lens OIS set to OFF.

Is this a "feature" of this particular lens? I have a number of Panasonic lenses and none of them make any noises. I'm finding it quite irritating.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    This is quite normal
    I have had two or three examples of the old version and currently have the new f3.5 version
    They have all made a very slight whirring or hissing sound
    You usually only hear this when it is held up to your ear or when it is close when composing
    Im not sure if it is the focussing motor or the OIS that makes the noise.
    You mention that you have OIS disabled. I dont know if OIS is completely inoperable when disabled but I dont think this is cause for concern
    This is similar to the feint noise the Olympus O-MD E-M5 makes due to the IBIS holding the sensor in place
    I think you will learn to ignore it once you realise this does not constitute a fault
    Some people seem to be more sensitive to such noises
    I recall that when the O-MD was released that some were more sensitive than others to the IBIS and some dismissed it although they too could hear it if they listened out for it
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

3. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Thank you for the reply Rob. I'm relieved to hear its probably normal, however none of my other lenses do it, at least not in an audible way (and as you say there is a very subtle hum from the EM5's IBIS). I placed the camera and lens on my desk about 3 feet away and left it turned on, and the noise was enough to annoy me from that distance.

I think you're correct about some people being sensitive to noises - I'm female and apparently women can be worse than men in this respect.

I remember when the OMD was first released, the noise it made was unbelievably loud, I was very relieved when the firmware update improved it!

It sounds like the noise is probably just a feature of this particular lens.