Showcase Panasonic 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
First time using Livecomp mode.
12-60mm LUMIX Em5 MII
13mm 4.2 sec F 3.5 iso 1250 10:32 pm
Manual focus and unedited

Wasn’t going for anything in perticular just wanted to see what it could to in the dark. This is Big Sand Lake near Dorset, MN

Just recv'd a large set of step-up and step-down rings so I'm in the process of trying on whatever sort of front-of-the-lens adapters using various lenses. This shot was with my 12-60mm Panny set to 12mm with three step-up rings (58>72) and a Zomei .45x converter. As I shoot in in 3:2, I did not see the extreme vignetting in camera but it's there in the raw shot. As I tilted up the camera to take this shot, there's a bit of distortion but, iMHO, surprisingly little.
(Edit: I see the exif showing 14mm so maybe I nudged the zoom ring a little but didn't realize it.)

Here's the adapter with the rings:

Edit: If I can cut this down to one ring, I may lose most of the vignetting.
Another Edit: Yes; once I removed two of the step-up rings, the vignetting is gone at 12mm. I order a 58-72mm ring.

Last edited:

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just recv'd a large set of step-up and step-down rings so I'm in the process of trying on whatever sort of front-of-the-lens adapters using various lenses. This shot was with my 12-60mm Panny set to 12mm with three step-up rings (58>72) and a Zomei .45x converter. As I shoot in in 3:2, I did not see the extreme vignetting in camera but it's there in the raw shot. As I tilted up the camera to take this shot, there's a bit of distortion but, iMHO, surprisingly little.
(Edit: I see the exif showing 14mm so maybe I nudged the zoom ring a little but didn't realize it.)
View attachment 670282

View attachment 670285
Another Edit: Yes; once I removed two of the step-up rings, the vignetting is gone at 12mm. I order a 58-72mm ring.
Can you provide a link to where you purchased the Zomei? I see a 52mm version on eBay, but not a 72mm version. Does the 52mm version induce vignetting? Can you send the link to the 72mm version? Do they make other strengths (.75x?)?

Can you provide a link to where you purchased the Zomei? I see a 52mm version on eBay, but not a 72mm version. Does the 52mm version induce vignetting? Can you send the link to the 72mm version? Do they make other strengths (.75x?)?
This looks like the one.
If I had to do it over again, I'd probably buy the 77mm version which might be even more useful for more lenses.
Edit: I have a number of the smaller diameter (rear thread) adapters and they will vignette but I believe this is because they are dual-use - they have a rear element which, when used alone, provides macro capabilities. The Zomei I have (and which I linked) is a one-trick pony: Wide-angle only, which permits it to be much thinner, front-to-back.

sbm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam
Got this lens last week and was able to spend a few hours with it at the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens over the weekend. It was only slightly annoying to see a Leica 12-60 had sold for just $420 on eBay while I was shooting. :rolleyes: Given the Lumix's performance, I don't regret opting for the more affordable one — for the time being. It gives me a bit more range than the 12-32 kit lens, which allowed me to use it almost exclusively throughout the afternoon — I only changed once to get some tighter shots of some baby turtles.

I noticed while selecting images for this post how many favorites I took at 60mm. Between my affinity for my Lumix 45-150 and this tendency on my first time out with the 12-60, I'm learning more about how I see things, and am leaning toward a longer focal length for my next investment in glass. Don't get me wrong, wider angles are fun! :p I'd been eyeing the 7-14mm f4 before opting for this one first. Another prime may be next for me, though. Anyway, here's one not zoomed all the way in...

A nice overcast day brought out the photogs, pros and amateurs alike. A family of five, each carrying their own Canon, was shooting near me when the mom said to the dad something like, “is that one of those mirrorless ones?” which prompted him to inquire about my Lumix. We had a nice chat for a few minutes about lenses and such until his wife gently urged him to rejoin the family. :laugh:

I'm starting to be a bit annoyed by the lens info not showing up on the auto-caption-exif-data below my images. I think Photos may be to blame as the shots I work in Affinity Photo — though imported back into and uploaded from Photos — somehow successfully show the lens data... o_O for example, this next photo of a magnolia I posted to the trees thread already, but had to include in this set anyway. It's the only shot I'm posting that wasn't handheld.

My first keepers of butterflies came from this stroll. I've finally learned the shallowest depth of field doesn't serve some shots well, and was rewarded with some wings in focus. :cool: Having multiple opportunities didn't hurt either, as the Monarchs enjoyed plenty of food sources throughout the gardens. I was especially excited when one fluttered its wings for a few seconds and I fired about twenty shots off. Then less than a minute later, I snagged this, which I decided to make pop with some selective coloring.

It was a pleasant afternoon, made better by having a fun new way to trap light in a magic box. All in all, I'm rather pleased with the Lumix 12-60 so far. It strikes a balance I’ve been wanting over the past month, and makes me wish a little that I’d started with a camera that includes it as a kit lens. I look forward to seeing what else I can capture with it, as well as what else y'all show me can be done with it. :thumbsup:

sbm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam
White Rock Lake, Dallas

Hatch Show Print, Nashville

I think I’ve shared the rest of these in other threads, so won’t highlight them... suffice it to say, this is easily one of my favorite lenses.

Attachments

WT21

Super Moderator

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush

Tricky light; ended up boosting iDynamic with G'MIC from the SOOC rather than using the raw. Pleased with the 12-60's robustness here. Most of the flare is the ground fog and only two small lens arcs wanted cloning out.

Ankit Jain

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ankit Jain
View attachment 670282

View attachment 670285
Hi can you share a comparo of 12mm vs 12*.45mm. Is there a loss in quality of image when using the filter? I am also contemplating about buying a Olympus four thirds 12-60. This might be a useful & cheap option. Since I already have a viltrox EFM2 speedbooster, Im thinking of buying a sigma or tamron 10-20mm ultra wide angle, which will give a very useful range.

Thanks!

Hi can you share a comparo of 12mm vs 12*.45mm. Is there a loss in quality of image when using the filter? I am also contemplating about buying a Olympus four thirds 12-60. This might be a useful & cheap option. Since I already have a viltrox EFM2 speedbooster, Im thinking of buying a sigma or tamron 10-20mm ultra wide angle, which will give a very useful range.

Thanks!
Not quite sure of what you're asking. "12*.45mm"?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom