1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Panasonic 12.5mm F12 3D

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by danimal, May 11, 2013.

1. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I recently got the Lumix G 12.5mm F12 3D lens in the marketplace here (thanks pcnyc!). In a past life I worked on stereo cameras for computer animation so I have an interest in 3D work. This lens isn't the best what with the intra-ocular distance being so small, the aperture is fixed at f12 so you need a lot of light, and the minimum focal distance is almost two feet (0.6m). Thankfully in California we have a lot of sun so I'll have plenty of days to try out shots. :2thumbs:

Anyway, onto pictures. Here are a few I snapped to just see how it works. Not too bad, but not nearly as good as two cameras side by side. All were taken on the E-M5 with the Lumix G 12.5mm F12 3D lens in full sunlight.

You'll need red/cyan glasses to view these in 3D. If anyone wants I can post side-by-side versions so you can do the eye focus trick to see them.

California poppy we have growing the the backyard (x2):

8729840502_e59462d472_c.
    California Poppy in 3D by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

8729840362_3a9e74cff6_c.
    California Poppy in 3D by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

An avocado sapling we've grown from a pit. The avocado itself is a bit out of focus, but the grass and lemon tree in the background makes it a particularly cool shot for 3D depth.

8728722569_61537c1250_c.
    Avocado sapling in 3D by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Oops, I forgot to put "Panasonic" in front of "Lumix" for the thread title. If an admin can fix that it'd be much appreciated.

-dan

3. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Go to Edit/Advanced and I think you can edit the title as well. :thumbup:

4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Derp! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks BAXTING! :2thumbs: :drinks:

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Very cool...did you do anything special to make them work on a normal screen? I thought you had to have a 3D TV/glasses for this to work...will it work on conventional TVs with the proper glasses?

6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    • Like Like x 1
  7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Can you do the side by side thing? I'd love to try that. I don't have any of those glasses sadly.

8. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Sure thing. I'll upload all of them that way in a bit.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Appreciate it! Heading to bed so it'll probably be tomorrow before I have a look so don't rush.

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Fun!

It's so funny though: once I get the images to "converge" in the center into the 3D image, I have a hard time getting my eyes to UNLOCK from the center image, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hey,
    Is there a way to manually set ISO and shutter speed with that lens on OMD or are you totally dependent on the camera's choice of settings? I did a search a long time ago hoping to use it in studio with strobes, and since I didn't end up buying it, I am guessing you cannot right? Anyone knows if that is possible on Panasonic cameras?

• Like Like x 1
  12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the posts, danimal!

Hmmm...so you DON'T need a 3D TV to view these?

Do you just layer the L and R images in Photoshop, or how did you get the images you've posted? Do you have any pictures of cars/houses, etc (stuff more than a few feet away)?

Oh, and I'm interested to hear what anyone has to say about manual settings as well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.