Showcase Panasonic 12.5mm F12 3D

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by danimal, May 11, 2013.

1. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    I recently got the Lumix G 12.5mm F12 3D lens in the marketplace here (thanks pcnyc!). In a past life I worked on stereo cameras for computer animation so I have an interest in 3D work. This lens isn't the best what with the intra-ocular distance being so small, the aperture is fixed at f12 so you need a lot of light, and the minimum focal distance is almost two feet (0.6m). Thankfully in California we have a lot of sun so I'll have plenty of days to try out shots. :2thumbs:

Anyway, onto pictures. Here are a few I snapped to just see how it works. Not too bad, but not nearly as good as two cameras side by side. All were taken on the E-M5 with the Lumix G 12.5mm F12 3D lens in full sunlight.

You'll need red/cyan glasses to view these in 3D. If anyone wants I can post side-by-side versions so you can do the eye focus trick to see them.

California poppy we have growing the the backyard (x2):

8729840502_e59462d472_c.
    California Poppy in 3D by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

8729840362_3a9e74cff6_c.
    California Poppy in 3D by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

An avocado sapling we've grown from a pit. The avocado itself is a bit out of focus, but the grass and lemon tree in the background makes it a particularly cool shot for 3D depth.

8728722569_61537c1250_c.
    Avocado sapling in 3D by Señor Danimal, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Oops, I forgot to put "Panasonic" in front of "Lumix" for the thread title. If an admin can fix that it'd be much appreciated.

-dan

3. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Go to Edit/Advanced and I think you can edit the title as well. :thumbup:

4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Derp! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks BAXTING! :2thumbs: :drinks:

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Very cool...did you do anything special to make them work on a normal screen? I thought you had to have a 3D TV/glasses for this to work...will it work on conventional TVs with the proper glasses?

6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    • Like Like x 1
  7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Can you do the side by side thing? I'd love to try that. I don't have any of those glasses sadly.

8. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Sure thing. I'll upload all of them that way in a bit.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Appreciate it! Heading to bed so it'll probably be tomorrow before I have a look so don't rush.

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Fun!

It's so funny though: once I get the images to "converge" in the center into the 3D image, I have a hard time getting my eyes to UNLOCK from the center image, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hey,
    Is there a way to manually set ISO and shutter speed with that lens on OMD or are you totally dependent on the camera's choice of settings? I did a search a long time ago hoping to use it in studio with strobes, and since I didn't end up buying it, I am guessing you cannot right? Anyone knows if that is possible on Panasonic cameras?

• Like Like x 1
  12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the posts, danimal!

Hmmm...so you DON'T need a 3D TV to view these?

Do you just layer the L and R images in Photoshop, or how did you get the images you've posted? Do you have any pictures of cars/houses, etc (stuff more than a few feet away)?

Oh, and I'm interested to hear what anyone has to say about manual settings as well!