Panasonic 12.5mm 3D lens questions: Worth it? Does it work with E-M5.3? Pen F?

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Hi everyone!

I've been eyeing the Panasonic 12.5mm 3D lens for years and years and years. I have a few questions.

Is it worth it? I know the 3D effect isn't great because the "eyes" are too close together...but is it decent? Does it only work on 3D TVs, or does it work with VR goggles? Also...do you have to use any special software?

Finally...will it work with either of my two main cameras: Pen F and E-M5 Mark III? (I also have a GM1, but that's more of a backup camera on trips...I rarely use it when I'm not travelling).

Thanks and have a great day! :)

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I've never owned one, but like you I've harbored a mild curiosity toward this little lens since it was announced. However, the more I've read about it, the less interested in owning one I've become.

I've been fascinated with stereoscopic images since discovering a cache of them and those old wooden viewers at my public library growing up (this was 40+ years ago).

Whether the Panny 3D lens is the way to scratch that itch comes down to a few things: do you happen to have a compatible 3D Viera TV to view them on (I don't), do you want to spend the time processing the images into another format (if you don't have one of these old TVs or want to share the images in a different forum), are you okay with essentially being limited to shooting in bright sunlight due to the tiny fixed aperture, and finally is the mild 3D effect due to the miniscule distance between the lenses enough for the hassle. For me, based on everything I read, the answer for me to most of these was "no".

I've consider investing in a slider that would allow me to take two shots in succession from a wider distance or building a 3D rig (perhaps something with a pair of cameras that could be triggered simultaneously), but I've never gotten really serious about it. This is partly due to the fact that I'm busy enough with other things and partly because there just is no easy way to share 3D content (that I'm aware of).

Bottom line, 3D seems to be a short lived fad that had a resurgence from time to time. Perhaps that new 3D lens Canon just announced will spark another 3D comeback.

- K

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom