1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35mm review by Thom Hogan

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bizzarrini, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've read it this morning. That does it, no 12-35mm for me. Thom Hogan's review literally states "It's not going to be my landscape wide angle" and that seems to concur with other reviews.

3. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Same thoughts here. Here's to hoping Olympus will finally come out with a fast standard zoom!

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Several things:
    - this is the same guy who destroyed the reputation of the PL45, one of the greatest lenses in the system, simply on price. "I can't find anything wrong with it, except I think it costs too much"
    - I would say his last quote offsets the landscape one "For me, I've found uses for it and enjoy it. Let's let it suffice at that."
    - he admits that all the competition, at even higher prices and double the size and 4x the weight are similarly flawed

The images I'm getting out of this lens are absolutely amazing in their pixel level detail even wide open. It's compact, focuses quickly, and while I wish it were f/2 (or brighter, at least on the short end) it goes a long way to keeping me out of higher ISOs. Do I wish it were even better and cheaper? Of course. Do I think it's a great alum at its current price? Absolutely.

• Like Like x 4
  5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Mine stays on my camera most of the time as well. It's my workhorse. Comparing the results with the Canon 24-70 mark 1 I used to own, I am very satisfied. The size and weight are just great compared to my previous gear. But I wouldn't mind a bit more reach and a bit more brightness, even at the cost of a larger lens. Where is the Oly 12-60/2.0-3.5 of my dreams?

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..
    I am currently using Oly 4/3 14-54 mm II on OMD and all my primes have become useless for the time being . It AFs okay and pretty sharp and great walk around kit lens . It balances fine on OMD and doesnt break my bank . I would strongly recommend anyone who wants a good carry around zoom lens .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks, I have considered that, though never tried it. I am not very satisfied with the AF speed of the 20/1.7, so I doubt I will be happy with an adapted 4/3 lens. So when can we expect the m43 version of the 14-54? Olympus, you're listening???

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have the Zuiko 14-54 mkII and used it quite a lot with my E-M5 before I got the 12-35. After getting the 12-35, it pretty much replaces the 14-54mkII and stays on my camera most of the time, the remaining time is mostly split between the 35-100 and PL25/1.4. I did an unscientific test between the PL25 and the 12-35 at 25mm and the difference in center sharpness is negligible to my naked eyes... While I wish the edge sharpness is better, together with the 35-100, they are still the best native zoom combo to date. If I want to take landscape photos, I just use my 12/2, but as Thom Hogan noted, the 12-35 serves photo-journalistic purposes very well...

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Just remember....
    Hogan didn't exactly trash it per se' for landscape photography but rather stated that he preferred to use another Micro Four Thirds lens to use - and that is the M. Zuiko 12mm ƒ2.0

And in the same breath, for greater subject isolation, he preferred the M. Zuiko 45mm ƒ1.8

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't trust any M43 review of lenses. My general impression is that most, if not all M43 lenses are quite sharp. It's not like using old film lenses on high MP FF/FX bodies and getting bad results. Every M43 lens is modern and made for the sensor.

If you need a particular FL, just buy it!

• Like Like x 3
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah, I find that a bit puzzling. It's not as if the 12/2 is good in the corners either and it has CA too, though not much vignetting.

I not sure there is currently a m4/3 lens that really shines for landscapes wider than 20mm or so. They all have corner and/or fringing issues.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The interesting question for me is how the 12-35mm compares in performance to the Sony 16-50/2.8 that cost me effectively half what the Pana costs. From what I can figure, the Pana might be (but probably isn't quite) as good as the Sony lens. So that's squarely in the disappointment column for me.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looking at Photozone's resolution tests (not cross-format comparable, strictly speaking, but still instructive), they seem to have similar characteristics, but the 16-50 has a bit more falloff in terms of resolution, and higher CA. Of course there is still price to be considered as well as size and weight...

14. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Indeed, sure looks like it. I'm hoping that the announced Schneider lenses 14/2, 30/1.4 and 60/2.4 will finally bring excellent performance across the whole image area to the table. Their price indications suggest nothing else...

15. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Just recently I got one of these, despite the not-so-favourable dpreview test results. And indeed, corner and edge sharpness are a little bit behind my excellent Rokkor 50/1.4 sample, just enough to avoid for stuff that is liable to be printed large. So while the PL45/2.8 is a very good and highly useable lens, it's not flawless. And I still think Thom Hogan's remarks are valid, especially now the Olympus 60/2.8 macro has come up with somewhat better performance and a lower price.

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Remember that the review at LensRentals was somewhat ambivalent, too, but Roger's conclusion, like Hogan's, was that the lens definitely had a place in his bag.

This pair of sentences, which end one paragraph and start another in Hogan's review, kind of sum up his review, IMO:

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    As far as whether this lens compared to the Oly 12/2, I had two of the 12/2 that I compared to 12mm on my 7-14/4 and 12-35/2.8. Both were less sharp than the two zooms. I probably had lemons, but two in a row was too much for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have both. In my very informal tests the Panasonic is a bit better wide open and at f4 than the Sony. After that there's not much in it. Further informal tests say they're both better than my shooting partners 24-70 f2.8L mk1. Of course the 45mm wide open is better than any of the above, at any aperture. I also think my copy of the Panasonic is better on the edges than my copy of the Sony but not by a huge margin.

For me it just came down to portability. If I wanted to use m4/3 then I needed a fast standard zoom. I adore the usage of Sony cameras but for one stop of DOF I am finding it hard to justify the huge weight/size differential.

Personally I think all Panasonics better lenses are overpriced (just compare the macros). But since it's the only option I've learned to live with it. When Oly come out with some thing fast (please let it be a 12-35f2) then the Panasonic prices will have to do something.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I am more than happy with my copy of the 12-35mm, it hasn't disappointed me in the least. Image quality is more than acceptable, fast autofocus, compact and well built. I paid $950 for it and at sub $1000 pricing it stacks up VERY favourably with any of the current micro 4/3 lens offerings in terms of value for money.

• Like Like x 1
  20. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I may end up with it at some point, but I wait for the price to drop further. Till then, I'll stick with my primes.