Panasonic 12-35mm Initial Problems

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by shizlefonizle, Jul 7, 2013.

1. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    So Ive been wanting this lens for a while, but couldnt live with the price despite the price drops. I found that this lens sells for less than $800 in Japan and with one of my relatives going to Japan in a couple of months, I considered picking one up there especially with the favorable yen to dollar conversion right now. The problem is I wont have any warranty in the states, so I wanted to ask if anyone received a DOA or a bad copy that they had to return just to gauge any potential risk. And where would I go to repair lenses that are not under any kind of warranty?

2. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    You could always ship it back to Japan for repair. The shipping fee is much much less than trying to get it repaired here out of warranty (if Panasonic US even takes it at all).
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I would have thought any camera products legitimately bought from any recognized retailer would have an international world wide warranty, I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Canon and Nikon definitely doesn't practice that concept. I am not sure about Panasonic but I know Olympus does have worldwide warranty.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  5. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    Panasonic's "Limited Worldwide Warranty" is definitely limited only to the region where you purchased it.
  6. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012
    I should look into this. Im not sure if Panasonic will accept it though.
  7. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    My experience on buying camera gears in Japan is limited, but here's what I found when I was there last time as a tourist.

1. Only bigger stores such as Bic or Yodobashi would give tourists tax breaks. However, their prices are fairly close to manufacturer’s list prices.

2. You can bargain at smaller stores, but most of them don't speak English.

I would just purchase it online from eBay or Rakuten.

If you do decide otherwise, this from Visa might come in handy:
  8. shizlefonizle

Apr 21, 2012

Thanks for the advice, but Im Japanese so my parents will have no problem purchasing one.
  9. millimeterwave

millimeterwave Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    ATL, GA
    I just purchased a 12-35 from and have it forwarded to the US with Should arrive this week.

I figure if there is a problem with the lens I can ship it back to Panasonic Japan or just pay Panasonic USA to do any service work if needed. Plus amazon has a decent return policy. I would be losing some money but it's still far cheaper than even a used 12-35mm. I paid $857 after shipping.
  10. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I purchased my 35-100 from a Japanese seller on I received it in 5 days or so. I made sure there was a return policy that would have allowed me to send it back would it have been DOA. Very happy with my purchase.
  11. gregorywe

gregorywe Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2013
    I bought my E-P3 when I was Hong Kong, and later when I returned to the U.S. it started flaking on me, and Olympus' service was great, even ended up replacing it with another one.

It depends on the warranty. In this case, the E-P3 had an international warranty from Olympus. I'm not sure about how it works for Panasonic. I bought my 25mm lens in HK as well but fortunately have had no troubles such that I'd need to find out.
  12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have found that there are two prices in Asia:
    - worldwide warranty, same as USA - no particular bargain, totally dependent on exchange rate
    - JDM only warranty - considerably cheaper than USA price, but essentially no warranty

(I bought my GF1, 20/1.7, and 45-200 in Korea with worldwide warranty)