Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 vs Olympus 14-35mm F2

ntblowz

Mu-43 Veteran
through Mobile01

Corner wise Olympus 14-35mm @ F2.0 seems sharper than Panasonic 12-35mm @ F4, at F2.8 it is a lot more sharper than 12-35mm ever was.

Center wise the M43 lens is pretty sharp, but 14-35mm @ f2.8 looks even more sharper!

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Assuming that the lens in question is the Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 ED SWD Zuiko, that lens sells for $2300 at this time and isn't a native m4/3 lens, so I'm not sure the comparison is of any use, really. :rolleyes:

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
I think it's a decently valid comparison. I've used 4/3 lenses on both Panasonic and Olympus
m43 bodies. However, the "premium" Olympus 4/3's lenses are some of the best-period...including Canon 'L' Lenses and the good full frame Nikon lenses. The 14-35mm f/2 is 900 grams and takes a big filter (77mm). Damn thing looks like a super telephoto mirror lens.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Exactly my point(s) - it's huge, heavy, non-native and costs almost 2x what the 12-35 costs. If I wanted to use a lens that big and heavy, and needed one with IQ that was better than the superb 12-35 Panasonic zoom, I wouldn't be attaching it to an m4/3 body, sorry! :wink:

danska

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joe
Exactly my point(s) - it's huge, heavy, non-native and costs almost 2x what the 12-35 costs. If I wanted to use a lens that big and heavy, and needed one with IQ that was better than the superb 12-35 Panasonic zoom, I wouldn't be attaching it to an m4/3 body, sorry! :wink:

Wow that puppy is two lbs! Three times the weight of the 12-35. With slow AF and that price, I don't think it would really be in consideration for any of us. That price buys you the Canon 24-70L also.

I'd like to see the photos the OP is commenting on.

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
Yeah, but when m43 sensors are resolving 24-30mp, that lens will fill up the sensors with details. Full disclosure: I have the Pany 12-35mm f2.8 and absolutely love it. I never thought I'd have a lens that's really making me think about getting rid of the 14mm/20mm primes.

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Panny doesn't do so well at f/2.0, though. :tongue:

Seriously, though, if you really need DOF control and/or low-light performance, then that extra stop is a big difference. Given the size of the 12-35 f/2.8, they should be able to make an f/2.0 for :43: that isn't two pounds.

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
The Panny doesn't do so well at f/2.0, though. :tongue:

Seriously, though, if you really need DOF control and/or low-light performance, then that extra stop is a big difference. Given the size of the 12-35 f/2.8, they should be able to make an f/2.0 for :43: that isn't two pounds.

Maybe 700 grams? :p

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
The 14-35 SHG is a Wonderful lens. Great construction, MUCH faster and Not software corrected like the panny. It's pricey but héh, it's a ultra sharp F/2 Zoom!

I use a 150 f/2 on my OMD and IMHO if you want ultimate image quality the SHG Lenses are the way to go. Can't wait to see a OMD-Pro with PDAF on sensor...
Just my opinion.

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
Steph said:
The 14-35 SHG is a Wonderful lens. Great construction, MUCH faster and Not software corrected like the panny. It's pricey but héh, it's a ultra sharp F/2 Zoom!

I use a 150 f/2 on my OMD and IMHO if you want ultimate image quality the SHG Lenses are the way to go. Can't wait to see a OMD-Pro with PDAF on sensor...
Just my opinion.

To the best of my knowledge, the Panasonic is not software corrected on a OMD EM5. It is still remarkably sharp. There is a little chromatic aberration to clean up once and a while, but nothing that Lightroom does not handle easily. No doubt the Olympus is a tremendous lens, and it is f2.0. That said, IMHO the biggest advantage of the 12-35 is that it covers to 12mm. I prefer to be able to get that wide in my main zoom.

I would really like to check out the 150mm f/2 some day. That lens looks really interesting. Hopefully, Olympus will see to build a similar fast tele for m4/3.

It is nice that we have this many great lenses to consider! The micro four thirds system has come a long way. I

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To the best of my knowledge, the Panasonic is not software corrected on a OMD EM5. It is still remarkably sharp.

Your knowledge needs improvement. LOL

It is distortion corrected, but not chromatic aberration corrected on Oly bodies.

Supposedly, the Panasonic-Leica lenses do not use either distortion or CA correction.

Good sales of the f/2.8 zooms would have to encourage them to make f/2 versions ...

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
~tc~ said:
Your knowledge needs improvement. LOL

It is distortion corrected, but not chromatic aberration corrected on Oly bodies.

Supposedly, the Panasonic-Leica lenses do not use either distortion or CA correction.

Good sales of the f/2.8 zooms would have to encourage them to make f/2 versions ...

How about backing that up with a reference.

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This thread needs some lock-down action...are the powers-that-be on vacay?

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
RT_Panther said:
Nah this is pretty good....got myself a cold beverage now & enjoying the show....:biggrin:

Glad to provide entertainment! :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom