1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 rattling inside when shaking

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Menschik, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Menschik

Menschik New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2014
    Hey there,

Recently, I ordered a Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 from Amazon Warehouse Deals for 650 pounds. I am planning to use it for video on my GH4. The trouble and ucertainty I am having with this lens is that it rattles inside when I move it around in my hand (not attached to the camera), or when shaken ever so slightly. I am not too sure whether it is the OIS inside, or whether it is simply broken.

I have not tested the optical quality yet, as I am waiting for the GH4 to arrive, but I was interested to see if any of you know what this might be. In the hand, it feels as if there is something loose inside, tipping the weight to one or the side when I hold it in my hand and turn it around. This is more prominent if I carefully shake it from side to side, rather than from the bottom to the top.

It wasn't a cheap lens so I am a bit worried that they've sent me a defective one. Any ideas what this might be or is it just me being too panicy?

Sorry if it has been asnwered before, I didn't find anything! :)

Thanks for any advice!

2. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    it`s normal.

3. Menschik

Menschik New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2014
    It feels as if there is another smaller body inside and when you turn it or twist it it moves in the same direction. I wasn't sure whether this was normal or not. If it is, then I'm a happy bunny. I will test the optical quality when the GH4 arrives. Can't wait! :)

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Probably the OIS, which probably uses electrical power to position and stabilize the elements. Without power the OIS elements are free to move about the cabin.

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, its the OIS, which is naturally a floating element. My 35-100/2.8 does the same.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Menschik... you made a great choice buying that lens. You're going to absolutely love the 12-35/2.8. It provides stellar optical performance for the m4/3 format at a reasonably compact size, for the capability. It isn't a replacement for my primes, when I need a specific capability that only a prime can provide, but it is my go-to lens for the vast majority of shooting situations and is the lens that is on my camera for general outings. If I had to eliminate all of my m4/3 lenses (about 15 lenses) but one (God forbid), this would be the lens that stays.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Menschik

Menschik New to Mu-43

Jun 25, 2014
    Wow! Thanks everyone who responded! I will sleep a little better now after reading it's the OIS, which I suspected, but I just wasn't sure.

DHart, thanks for your kind words! I read and watched a lot of videos before I made my choice. Many of my favourite YouTubers, including Dave Dugdale and DSLR video shooter use this lens, so I knew it was a great lens. I will have to see for myself how great it is though.

I am a bit spoiled by the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens which I am using on my Canon 70D. I am currently trying to find out how I could use it on the GH4 for video, because the performance of that lens is just exceptional.

Thanks again everyone! :)