1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35 vs. Olympus 12-60

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Armanius, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    In Luminous Landscape's recent review of the EM5, there are a few comparison photos of the upcoming Panasonic 12-35 compared to the Olympus 12-60. The 12-60 is a 4/3 format lens, and easily IMO, one of the best standard zoom lenses I've ever owned (and still own) or used in any format.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I guess there are two ways to read that.

One angle is that the 12-35/2.8 is going to be an excellent lens - comparable image quality and nearly a stop faster at 35mm than the 12-60/2.8-4.0.

The other is that for less than half the price (secondhand) of the 12-35/2.8, you can get the 12-60/2.8-4.0 which offers almost 2x the range and comparable image quality, plus much better close-up abilities.

So far I'm not sure which reading I subscribe to...

DH

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    LOL! Yes, it's a short review that leaves plenty room for interpretation.

I have the 12-60, and using it with any m4/3 camera is just rather way too cumbersome due to size and slow AF.

Too bad Oly hasn't made an adapter that'd allow for fast AF using the legacy 4/3 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So the handling isn't good with the GH2 or gripped E-M5?

I'm not sure if such an adapter is possible. Looking at the MMF-2, is there enough space to mount an angled 4/3-sized mirror in there, plus AF sensor?

DH

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And almost twice the size, with dog-slow AF. You pays your money and makes your choices...

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I haven't tried it with the EM5 (and I don't have the grip for the EM5), but it was still way too big and front heavy on the GH2.

As for adapter, maybe Oly can design something like Sony's adapter with the SLT. That would of course make the whole combo even bigger!!