1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35 vs. Olympus 12-50

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by stratokaster, Jun 5, 2012.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I maintain that the 12-50 is unreasonably large for what it is, weather sealed or whatever. It's probably because of the internal zoom, I guess, but I don't find that to be a useful feature.

3. A bit beside the point, but is the 12-35mm purple?!?

4. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Seems so. To be honest, I find it disturbing.

5. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I think it's because it's not a production model.

6. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Too long, too slow and generally unattractive.

7. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Cheaper, and more reliable weather sealing.

I personally don't mind the size at all, but to each their own :smile:.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It is a kit lens with a more useful range, internal zoom and weather sealing. I'll take it over any of the manual or auto folding kit zooms that are currently available, and equally awful looking.

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I remember reading that the weird purple colour will not be present in the production model.

For some reason, I like how the panasonic lenses are a bit chubby....no idea why.

10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Out of curiosity, where did you find the 'more reliable weather sealing' info ?

Also, I too read that the purple/eggplant color is most definitely just for pre-production models, the real deal will be black.

It'll be interesting to see how the 12-35 pans out in further tests and more importantly in real life samples an user reviews.....so far looks to be freakin' excellent. Significantly more expensive than the 12-50 but a lens like the 12-35 would be a long term investment the way is see it...it would be the kind of lens one would keep for as long as you were in the system.....or until Olympus came out with a competing product. From what I have seen so far, I would be happy to patiently save for the extra couple of months and get the 12-35....I could then see myself taking it to my snowboard, fishing, hiking trips and local/overseas travels for many years.

11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I've Been Waiting ...

... for someone to bring up the situation with the unavailability of this lens. I don't want to start a thread on it because it is not a major concern of mine. I only buy Oly lenses. But is it not curious that Panny would announce this new sought after lens and then suddenly we find that it may be at least months before the US even sees the first one? I'm going on what 4/3 rumors is reporting.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    On the contrary, I think distant early pre-announcements followed by production that consistently falls short of demand is the rule these days, not the exception.

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've noticed that you have mentioned in several places on the forum that you will not buy any but Oly lenses. Man, you are clearly missing out on some awesome glass! :smile: But that's your own situation and has no negative impact on anyone else.

I do find it curious that you go out of your way to make a point of proudly proclaiming that you avoid Pany and all other lenses for m4/3. Why is this? Lenses such as the 7-14, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 25/2.5, 14-45, 14-140, etc. are significant, noteworthy assets to the m4/3 photographer. I would not be without them among my Oly and other brand lenses.

14. nueces snapper

Well, I'm just an Oly fanboy. :biggrin: And I don't want the rattlesnake and now I'm skeered of locking up my new baby due to some weird juju with panny lenses and EM5 cameras. The only other lens I want at the moment is a 400mm vintage Nikon or Cannon f/4 or less (preferably). I'd prefer a m4/3 equivalent prime tele from Oly but that's probably never going to happen. :smile:

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Having several Pany and Oly bodies (including the E-PL3 and E-M5) and a good number of Pany and Oly lenses... I can report that typically, one can mix and match lenses and bodies with happy abandon. And there's nothing to fear about a little rattlesnake noise from the 25/1.4. No big deal. :smile:

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Since I already have the Oly 12mm and 45mm, and the PL25mm, a fast 12-35mm zoom lens just doesn't excite me at all, regardless of quality. I will be paying closer attention to the fast 35-100mm though...

Regarding the Oly 12-50, in spite of its odd look and slow aperture, I was kind of surprised to find it more than competent in my everyday use. The macro feature is fun, and I find it to be an excellent video lens with the electric zoom function, although my copy has a grinding feel to it when I switch it to manual to zoom. I am wondering if others have the same experience...

17. Not quite grinding. I'd say that the manual zoom function on mine has an unpleasant mechanical resistance.

18. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Apparently panny owns a little chunk of your oly now. ;)

Although all m43 lenses work on all m43 bodies...there seems to be something that work ever-so-slightly smoother when using an oly lens on an oly body. Maybe it's all in my head though.

19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Both these lenses interest me for different reasons, and it's an interesting comparison. Probably a little unfair to compare a "premium" fast lens to a slower kit zoom, but since they do cover a similar focal range I suppose comparisons are inevitable.

Personally, I wish the new Panasonic was a 12-50 also. The extra range would be a fantastic plus to me, even if it meant a slightly larger lens. As it is, between the extra 15mm of focal range and the macro feature of the Oly 12-50, I can see both lenses having their uses.

20. nueces snapper

+1 on your opinion. The noise in the lens has been discussed. Take it off your camera and put it in the manual mode. Hold it up to your good ear :)biggrin:) and operate the zoom ring. You will find that it is the sound of little bitty plastic gears rotating. Not grinding. At least that is what I believe.:thumbup: