1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35 USA Release?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Empireme, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I know it's available in other parts of the world but do you guys know it's date on u.s. release?

And is DigitalRev the site that people here in the States are buying them from?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not sure exactly, but they're now available in Europe via Amazon, and there's at least one 3rd-party seller on Amazon US forecasting availability for next week (July 23).

DH

• Like Like x 1
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I placed an order days after it was released here in Japan. The camera store called me yesterday to say that it will be at least another 3 weeks... According to them, the Panasonic factory is out of stock. BAH! I may just order it from Amazon/B+H when it becomes available.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    DHart and myself both got ours through DigitalRev, I'm sure that where most are getting them.

5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I appreciate the responses...

Do you think there's going to be a difference in price when it hits our shores?

6. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    On amazon.co.jp it's in stock for 87200JPY from amazon & for 83000JPY from a third party seller - appears to take a few days longer to ship.

What's wrong with ordering from Amazon Japan now, before it's available on Amazon & B&H stateside?

7. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    tc or DHart, how was your experience with DigitalRev? I was also thinking of going that route (destination is US). Any issues with customs or surprise charges? Do you feel comfortable with their return policies?

Thanks for any insight.
    Robert

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I have no experience with DigitalRev, and I'm not implying anything at all. But I, personally, will wait for a US vendor selling a lens with a US warranty. It just gives me more peace of mind. Of course, if you really need the lens right away, that's not an option.

Since I don't need it right away, I'll probably also wait a few months and hope the price comes down a bit.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Robert, I haven't ordered the 12-35 but I ordered a CV 25mm f/0.95 from DigitalRev, which is at least in the same ballpark. DR was painless to order from and the shipment showed up even faster than expected and extremely well packed, so no complaints on the service end.

As far as charges, I found out after the fact that there were two charges I wasn't expecting. First, the bank that issues my credit card charges a 'foreign transaction fee' for purchases made outside the US but in USD. That was $19 of added cost I wasn't expecting. Again, this is from the card issuer and not D.R. - not all card issues charge these fees but most do, so you'll want to check with your CC company ahead of time to make sure.

Second, D.R. ships via FedEx, and 2 weeks after the lens arrived I got a bill in the mail for another $25 or so, which consisted of ~$19 in customs taxes and import duties, + $6.95 in "convenience fees" from FedEx. What they do is pay the duties and taxes for you so the package is delivered right away, then bill you later what is in essence a finance charge for floating you the customs money. Frustratingly, the only way to pay this appears to be by mailing them a check, since I couldn't find any way to pay the bill online.

Note that neither of these fees are charged by DigitalRev, and ultimately I have no problem with them. But it's nice to be aware of all this *before* you order :smile:

• Like Like x 4
  10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Update: well, they dropped the price on DigitalRev today again... I never heard back from my local camera shop about pre-ordering either... soooo now I've bought the 12-35 after all :redface:

I would really prefer to buy locally and support a small business, but the reduced cost (even accounting for the Fedex & customs charges), not having to pay NJ state tax, and my impatience got the better of me once again. Good thing I've been selling off a bunch of other stuff already to make up the cost. Guess it's time to clean house some more!

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    j.... congrats, buddy! You'll have the lens sooner than you expect!

I didn't have an extra charge on my CC and have yet to receive a 'customs' bill from FedEx... but it's only been a week or so - one may yet arrive.

All in all, I had a very smooth, professional transaction with DigitalRev. If I needed to, I'd buy another lens from them again without hesitation. Being a lens, I'm not so concerned about a warranty... in decades of buying cameras and lenses of all types, I've never had an issue covered by warranty anyway.

As for bodies... I'd more strongly prefer to go with B&H for USA warranty (even though I've NEVER needed to use one in decades of shooting) and for ease of return if necessary.

That said, I'm planning to wait for the 75/1.7 when I can get it from B&H as I'm just not yearning for it so dearly as I was the 12-35.

• Like Like x 3
  12. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks Don, I'm really excited about this one! Yesterday's thread showing Chris Sorensen's photos from Sri Lanka with the 12-35 was the straw that broke the camel's back, and I lost all semblance of patience I'd been carefully cultivating.

That Olympus 75/1.7 is going to make me eat my words. I saw it as a specialty lens I wouldn't have a use for and said as much in an earlier thread. After seeing the first real world images from it though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up making that my next lens purchase. Now I just have to figure out what to sell off to pay for it! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    A couple of folks who ordered from Panasonic direct just got their shipping notices, so it looks like the lens has started to trickle in stateside.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    jloden, DHart, meyerweb, Thanks for the insight on Digital Rev!

As noted by dhazeghi, it looks like they are starting to trickle in to the US through Panasonic direct so I may check that out first. However, from the input here, I will not hesitate to order from DigitalRev.

Thanks all...

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree with all of the above about DigitalRev, and I haven't seen the customs charges yet either.

My only "complaint" is the rapid decrease in price and no price protection, but if you waited a week or so for it to stabilize instead of "gotta have it now", you would be better off (that said, this is a "gotta have it now" lens!)

16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Agreed, patience would probably be better in this case - unfortunately patience when it comes to purchases is usually not my strong suit :rolleyes:

My guess was that the price won't come down much from here. Panasonic has already started shipping stateside at $1299 and that's the price I was quoted from my local shop as well. I'm sure there will be some fluctuation in the market but it doesn't look like it's going to drop a whole lot when it's release. I'm sure if you wait several months or a year it may drop like the 7-14 did, but for the short term it looks like they're sticking to the $1299 sticker price.

Of course, I could be guessing totally wrong and it'll be on sale for $999 in a few weeks or months :doh:

17. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    None of the higher-priced m4/3 lenses have really seen major price decreases. The 7-14 was about as big as they came, and that was only a $110 drop.

DH

• Like Like x 1