Panasonic 12-35 pricing

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by maflynn, May 30, 2013.

1. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Does this lens ever go on sale, I see it for over a thousand, and even on ebay its close to that price.

I love the idea of a fast zoom, but the price point of this, pushes it out of reach for me.

I know when this lens was first released, many people complained. I mean Panasonic released a cheaper 14-42 lens, in part because the 14-45mm was too expensive (and heavier). I've not see any downward pressure on the pricing and I've not see any faster zooms that could compete with this.

Sorry if this a bit ranty but I'd love to get a faster zoom (though I'm happy with the Oly 14-42mm) but at this point in my life, if I spent over a thousand for a lens the wife would kill me.
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Until someone releases an equal or better native option this price won't drop all that much.
  3. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Here's hoping that we see a faster Olympus zoom, but to be honest, I'm not all that optimistic
  4. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Panacam on Amazon sells the 12-35 for ~$950. That's importing, so you lose the warranty, but given that the US price is $200 more, I'm not sure the warranty is worth it.
  5. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    i bought mine used on amazon for about $950 shipped. Im happy with it.
  6. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    It's the lack of competition.

I had an equivalent lens on Pentax (da*16-50/2.8) and it can be had for around 600$.
  7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I suspect that the same is true with the Panny 35-100, but in all honesty I want one that overlaps, maybe 17-60 (equiv 34-120). I don't think that either the 12-35 or the 35-100 are worth $1K each.
  8. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I agree with barbosas (lack of competition) and slothead (neither lens are worth $1K each).

My question is: if the rumored Olympus 12-40 f2.8 comes to market, how would they price it, and would it affect Pany prices?
  9. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I would hope under a thousand but I doubt it will be much cheaper then the Panasonic.

I'll try to keep my eyes open for deals.
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    B&H and Adorama (and probably other places also) had it last year for $900 if purchased with various Panasonic m4/3 bodies (including the G5 and GH2), which was great pricing if you were looking at a new body anyway.
  11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It's a good lens for the price, unless you take it by the pound. I did a comparison over at DXOMark of the of the Nikon 16-35mm f/4 (24-52mm equiv on full frame) that I used to use on my D7000, a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 on a D700 body, and the Panasonic lens on a GX1.

The results? The Panasonic beat the more expensive 16-35mm but trailed the 24-70mm. However the differences are not so great and the price difference is telling. Here's that comparison.

DxOMark - Compare lenses

To sum up: the Panasonic beats the 16-35mm handily (when used on DX) and I was happy with the 16-35 on my D7000. It trails the Nikon 24-70mm by less than it beats the 16-35mm, and it is a fraction of the size and weight; and significantly cheaper than either. In addition, the 24-70mm has no VR.

So, even though it is an expensive lens, in terms of the marketplace it is a bargain and there is nothing that can touch it overall ESPECIALLY when you consider the size advantage.

I didn't compare it to Canon though because I haven't shot Canon pro lenses. I wanted to measure it against things I've used before.

If you can get it used for a good price, or as a new sale under $1000 that's a good thing. I paid $1139 at Adorama and I'm still happy with it, lol.
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    The price *has* dropped. The lens was $1,299 when it came out, and as noted in this thread it can be found for anywhere from $1000-$1199 now - not including any used market sales which would likely be even lower.

I realize this thread probably more accurately reflects many people's assumption/desire for this lens to be worth ~$800-900 or some other price point, but it's probably unrealistic to expect the price to drop much more on a premium lens.
  13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    I'm going to Las Vegas in September (business trip / training) and I compared the prices in the States and here in Finland. It seems I can get it in the US for less than $1000 ( and the cheapest price in Finland (I've found) is 1200€ ($1600)! That's just crazy!

I was going to wait for the fast Oly zoom but since it's uncertain when it will be available, I think I will bite the bullet and buy me a Lumix in September. :biggrin:

With my luck, the Oly zoom (with better optics) will become available in October with a lower price... But with those price differences I would still get my money back (plus more) if I sold it. :rolleyes:
  14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    The 12-35 is US$950 here and the 35-100 US$1150 - here being Thailand which doesnt have particularly cheap Panasonic pricing.

I happen to think the 12-35 is something of a bargain. If you consider that you dont need to have the Oly 12/2.0, you are getting everything else for not much more.
  15. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I wonder about the pricing for those two (P12-35 and 35-100) lenses also. They are not extremely fast lenses. I believe they are plastic construction. Why are they priced at over $1000 ? On the other hand, examples of images I've seen taken with both are pretty impressive.
  16. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It's a mix of plastic and some kind of brushed metal. Which doesn't really matter. You're buying these for the glass contained within.

There you go. They are considerably sharper than the consumer zooms. I can't wait to get my hands on the 35-100mm.
  17. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Really? The going price in the States is $1300. You could probably resell them here for less and STILL profit $75 per lens.
  18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    About $1140 at B&H and Adorama. At Adorama for sure as I just bought one.
  19. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Exactly right. Go price some constant aperture zooms like the Nikon 24-70mm and so forth, lol. This lens is priced reasonably for its class.

And whoever said they're not that fast: au contraire -- for zooms they certainly are and fast constant aperture zooms always cost dearly in any system though some are cheaper than others.
  20. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    The 12-35mm, yes, in fact you can find it for far less than that (~$960). Not the 35-100mm though. I haven't seen that drop below $1300 yet, unless you want to dig a bit into eBay, at least.