Panasonic 12-35 OIS not working?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by riverr02, Feb 15, 2013.

1. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I purchased the Panasonic 12-35 for a good price from DigitalRev ($999), but when I went to test the OIS, it didn't seem to make a difference whether the switch was on or off. Tiny purposeful jidders don't seem to be affected significantly by the position of the switch. Yet when I put the IS on in the OM-D, it does diminish the jidders. I tried depressing the shutter release for both, and also tried it on a GF3.

Do I have a dud, is the OIS feature on the lens that much less effective than the IS built in to the OM-D, or is the OIS feature only active at the time of shutter actuation?

Thanks for your help.

2. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    There's an update to this lens,I just applied it with my GH3.....check Pannys site for he firmware update.
    Not saying the update would fix the OIS but might be worth a try.

I also read that OMD users should use in body IS instead of lens IS with Pan lenses that feature OIS.....research it a bit before committing to my posting here.

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Thanks, but I had already installed the update using the GF3. So that wouldn't be it.

But I do have an update to report. I tested it using video on both cameras, and found that the Panny OIS does seem to work- just not as well as the Olympus IS. Granted, it's not a scientific or controlled test by any means- I tried to replicate the same type of motion on all three trials- but it still might be useful for folks. Posted it to Vimeo, and it's processing now. Will follow-up with the link once it's live for your review.

4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    How is OIS on the GF3? Probably judge with that too?

5. paulwillis

paulwillis New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2012
    London, UK
    Paul Willis
  6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Here's the link to the video I posted on Vimeo. I welcome any thoughts and comments on it. Will look into putting in the footage I took with the GF3, but that may take me a little longer.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/59771984"]OIS Test on Vimeo[/ame]