1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35 Noise Level?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Empireme, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Today I received the 12-35 lens from B&H today, and surprisingly the lens makes an audible "clicking" noise when I zoom in and out - is this normal or should I ask for a replacement?

I also own the 7-14 from Panasonic and that lens is absolutely quiet when I zoom in and out.

The reason this bothers me is although I don't do too much video on GH2, I still take videos of my daughter with it and that barrel noise would bother me... So if people could chime in, please.

*I just realized that the lens makes noise only when the camera is turned on, but is quiet when the camera is off. Is this just me or are other experiencing the same thing? Are there any updates on this lens?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, there is a firmware update for the lens - not sure if it addresses this or not.

3. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Thanks tc. I'll update it and see if it changes anything. I think there's got to be something wrong when it does it only when it makes the sound only when the camera's on...

4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Noticed a little bit of clicking when moving from bright to dark (a little like the 25 does) but didn't notice it all the time like your post seems to indicate.

5. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Yes it is normal. The aperture blades make several stepped changes as you zoom, which is required to maintain a "constant" minimum aperture on the lens. In this lens, Panasonic did not do this as smoothly as in the 35-100. This was discussed quite a bit on another thread, and the video users were understandably unhappy about it. For stills, I have found it to be irrelevant and only hear it when in my office at home while it is quiet. I have not done the firmware update, so I do not know if that altered this effect.

Cliff

6. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Yes, my 12-35 also makes about 5 clicks when zooming from one end to the other. However, it only does it if the camera is in Manual shooting mode. It doesn't occur in P, S or A.

7. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I wasn't aware this was discussed earlier...

After you posted seadragon, I checked and mine too only makes the noise in M mode. I guess I'm okay with it as long as mine wasn't defective...

8. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, it's nice to get some re-assurance when you think something might be defective. Especially on expensive purchases.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I could be imagining it, but I think mine was quieter after the firmware upgrade. If you haven't done that, it couldn't hurt. :)

10. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    This lens is so weird. When the camera (GH2) is in custom mode 3 which is in manual mode, there is no audible sound. BUT when the camera is put in C2 or C1 also in manual mode, there is a sound.

And when the camera is in either Aperture or Shutter Priority Modes, there are no sounds. But the worst part is when the camera is in filming mode, then there is a sound.

I don't particularly care that it makes a noise when I'm shooting stills, but it does concern me that it makes noises while trying to shoot video for obvious reasons.