1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35 - how's your copy

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RamblinR, Jan 5, 2013.

1. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I have returned the lens I had for a refund but I need to purchase one as I have now completely sold off all my canon gear which included the 17-55 f2.8 lens so I need this lens to replace it.

Before I returned it I had done the following shots (see flickr link). Can some others with the lens perhaps do similar shots and let me know the sharpness you are getting from it.

Lens performed like this from 12mm to say 23mm. Have done a number of shots with this same focus position with the same results.

I just want to be know that the majority of other copies perform properly at these focal lengths with this type of shot. This is to give me confidence to purchase another one.

IS is off on the lens, small focus square is on the persons face. Info is shown on the LR screen shot.

Have included comparison screen shot from LR4, original shots and 100% crops of two images. These shot were taken to further test the lens before returning it.

12-35mm Panny - a set on Flickr

Your input greatly appreciated.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What exactly is your complaint?

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That seems very strange... my copy is definitely very sharp and I've not heard of anyone getting a "bad copy" of the 12-35mm exhibiting softness before now. The soft results look almost like motion blur to me, and oddly it's actually worse at 1/250 than at 1/160 in the first example. Were those shot on a tripod?

Did you by chance try turning off IBIS, and/or maybe testing on a different camera? I wonder if this could be a stabilization issue.

4. hamadiscool

hamadiscool Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    It could be due to the fact that you are using this on an EM5. You have to disable the IS on the lens before using it on the EM5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    IS was turned off on the lens (was using IBIS)
    Centre focus is sharp (not amazing but OK)
    When focusing off to the side (and this is not near the edge) image is very soft.
    Have taken numerous shots with the same result.

So, centre focus in OK but side focus position is weak.

I was fortunate to try a copy from another person and the images on his copy are good so I think there was a problem with the lens I received.

If you are posting images, please post an image at f2.8 with centre focus (small green box for the OMD) and then about half way between the centre and the side of the same object/face. Then check a side by side in LR at 100%.

Thanks

6. KGOW

KGOW New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2013
  7. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    If it were shutter shock wouldn't that one with the centre focus have the same problem?

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Of course it would :rofl:

The only reasonable way to test a lens for this sort of thing is to have it on a tripod, all IS turned off and pointed a something flat (like a brick wall), making sure that the camera is perfectly perpendicular to the wall. The object is to have the lens as the only variable.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    At one point I had two copies of this lens and compared them carefully on an OM-D and G5. Results were slightly different, which is not a surprise, but both were basically sharp at all apertures and focal lengths.

10. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

My copy is perfectly sharp [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Jnewell, so which body will you mount the 12-35 if you were to choose for best results - the OM-D or the G5?

12. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    I was actually thinking of getting this lens as well. However Im resevering myself for the late 17/1.8 that is never here - I wonder if I should jump ship and just buy the 12-35 instead.. Hmm..

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    With over a thousand shots, so far, I can confidentally say my copy has no problems. I suggest you try another one.

Gordon

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    mine is so sharp, it hurts.

15. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I feel your pain... :)

16. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    I was blown away when I saw the first images I took using this lens - sharp, great colours and contrast. I'm still delighted with the lens and it's almost permanently attached to my camera.

17. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Ah man. I collected skimped and saved.
    Then i saw this comparison of my workhorse 7D 16-35. Compact Camera Meter

and well.... I hope to tell you all the status of the sharpness very soon. :smile:

Thanks Mu-43 for keeping GAs fresh and up to date.