1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic 12-35 frontfocus with Olympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by alf.igel, Jan 10, 2013.

1. alf.igel

alf.igel New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2013
    Hello,

I have a problem with my Olympus OM-D and the Panasonic 12-35mm lens.
    When taking picture by using single target AF I notice a big frontfocus which gets worse in the long end, 25mm and 35mm. AT 25 and 35mm I am never able to get any charp pictures when shooting subjects at a longer distance; I validated the frontfocus by chart tests.
    It doesnt matter if I only use IS, or only OIS with longer or shorter shutter speed; Interestingly with smaller aperture the frontfocus gets worse.

Its even strange that I tested 2 different Panasonic 12-35mm lenses at two different Olympus OM-D bodies, each setup of OM-D and Panasonic lens showed the big frontfocus.

I checked out these setups where I encounter the frontfocus problem:
    1. OM-D body with firmware 1.5 & Panasonic lens 12-35mm with firmware 1.1
    2. OM-D body with firmware 1.2 & Panasonic lens 12-35mm with firmware 1.0
    Both setups show the same frontfocus problem.

When mounting a Panasonic 20mm or a Panasonic 14-45mm to the OM-D bodies the pictures are fine and sharp - no problem at all.

I am very curious as I have the same error with two lenses, so I would be interested if anybody else has similar problems with the OM-D and the Panasonic 12-35mm. As this lens is new I wouldnt like to have it repaired and I would like to know if there could be a common problem here.

Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    This is a curious issue to me because I thought I read (a few times) somewhere that with the contrast-detect autofocus of the mirrorless sensors, front- and back-focusing is a non-issue...? Still, I guess anything is possible.

3. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    Your 12-35 copy have some problems but no front focus, it doesn't be possible with contrast detect af

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.