1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35 frontfocus with Olympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by alf.igel, Jan 10, 2013.

1. alf.igel

alf.igel New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2013
    Hello,

I have a problem with my Olympus OM-D and the Panasonic 12-35mm lens.
    When taking picture by using single target AF I notice a big frontfocus which gets worse in the long end, 25mm and 35mm. AT 25 and 35mm I am never able to get any charp pictures when shooting subjects at a longer distance; I validated the frontfocus by chart tests.
    It doesnt matter if I only use IS, or only OIS with longer or shorter shutter speed; Interestingly with smaller aperture the frontfocus gets worse.

Its even strange that I tested 2 different Panasonic 12-35mm lenses at two different Olympus OM-D bodies, each setup of OM-D and Panasonic lens showed the big frontfocus.

I checked out these setups where I encounter the frontfocus problem:
    1. OM-D body with firmware 1.5 & Panasonic lens 12-35mm with firmware 1.1
    2. OM-D body with firmware 1.2 & Panasonic lens 12-35mm with firmware 1.0
    Both setups show the same frontfocus problem.

When mounting a Panasonic 20mm or a Panasonic 14-45mm to the OM-D bodies the pictures are fine and sharp - no problem at all.

I am very curious as I have the same error with two lenses, so I would be interested if anybody else has similar problems with the OM-D and the Panasonic 12-35mm. As this lens is new I wouldnt like to have it repaired and I would like to know if there could be a common problem here.

Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    This is a curious issue to me because I thought I read (a few times) somewhere that with the contrast-detect autofocus of the mirrorless sensors, front- and back-focusing is a non-issue...? Still, I guess anything is possible.

3. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    Your 12-35 copy have some problems but no front focus, it doesn't be possible with contrast detect af