1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-35 Chatters on OM-D E-M5?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A good and highly competent friend just sent me this note:

Damn is right. I remember someone asked a while back whether the Pana fast zoom would rattlesnake, and I confidently answered "No" based on my understanding that this compatibility issue only happened with Pana lenses significantly faster than f/2.8 on Olympus bodies.

Anyone else have a chattering Panasonic 12-35mm lens???

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are a number of people on DPR using this lens on an OM-D, and I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

3. I've had just about every lens chatter so far, including the slower zooms. Some are more obvious because of the larger aperture range, and some because of a loud diaphragm (like the infamous PL25). If that's the price to pay for an accurate exposure preview, then I'll pay it.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Every Panasonic lens or every lens period?

5. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Oh boy...let's hope this isn't wide spread...or maybe isn't as bad as it "sounds"

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I am kinda surprised that the chattering aperture has been such an issue....my PL25 chatters on my EM5 but to be perfectly honest, I only ever notice it because it has somehow become a massive issue on the forums ! ...never, not once has the rattlesnake been so intrusive that I've felt it has taken away from my shooting experience, even in really quiet situations.

Chatter or not....I'll be buying both of the new fast Pany zooms, and if it ever becomes a reality, I will also buy the 17.5 f1.4 panaleica unobtaniumillux.

Don't get me wrong, it would be great it the ratllesnaking aperture blades behaved themselves a little better.....but I've never felt that it was as bad as the forum talk suggested. In saying that, I do appreciate others might feel differently.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm hoping the lens chatter will drown out the EM5 hum.

8. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I'm getting chatter on my ELP1 as well. Not as much as I do with the PL25, but it's still a garrulous tike.

Only clicks on zoom with my GH2.

Absolutely silent on my AF100.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Hopefully this will drive down the used prices ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Never had an Olympus lens chatter, only a Panasonic lens on the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Free lens hood in lieu of aperture blade dampening mechanism.

12. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I have the 12-35 and E-M5 and I haven't heard any chattering so far. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to use it in bright sunlight yet, which is apparently when it is most likely to happen, but still I haven't heard it so far. I have also never heard chattering from my panasonic 14 and 20 on my E-P1 or E-M5 so far, both of which have been used outdoors in bright light.

13. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I've not heard mine chattering, though I've had it less than a day. I'll keep an ear out for it though.

14. mango

mango Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    I did find this problem when the magnify view (reduce the focus box) was used, even on oly 45mm 1.8 in bright daylight. For normal view, never had a problem.

15. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

My PL 25mm does chatter from time to time, but it isn't a problem, other than people think you are counting your loose change. I just switch off and on again to cancel the chatter and it probably won't happen again all day. Nothing so far with the 12-35mm, but it's such a great lens it wouldn't bother me if it did.

Steve

16. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I've just been checking mine again for the last 10 minutes in the back garden, I've not heard a thing, and the exposure range there was 1/100th at f3.2 to 1/800th at f9.0, swinging it around it was silent.

17. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I've not heard any chatter from mine either...but like everyone else, I've not had it for very long.

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    My Olympus 12-60/2.8-4.0 doesn't 'chatter' but it does click quite loudly when the lighting changes (referring just to the aperture blades - the AF noise is of course something else entirely).

DH

19. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I have just bought the e-m5 ... I haven't got any loose change:biggrin:

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Anyone else have a chattering Panasonic 12-35mm lens???[/QUOTE]

Is this chattering compatible with my 14-42 Pany lens and E-PL1? I sure hope they didn't exclude all of us plebians.