Panasonic 12-32mm vs Olympus 14-42mm EZ

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by doogie, Sep 6, 2016.

1. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Which lens do you prefer to use on an Olympus body?

The general consensus seems to be the Panasonic has better image quality.

I like the way the Olympus auto extends when switched on, although I'm not bothered about power zoom otherwise. I can see how it would be handy for video, but I probably wouldn't use it for that.

Both have their benefits, Panasonic is wider, Olympus has better reach.

I'm tempted to keep both.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Mu-43 app
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I HATE - HATE - HATE - HATE - HATE electronic zooms with a passion. Therefore, for me - the Panasonic would be the option I would choose between the 2.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    I had both. Now only have the 14-42ez. Decided to let the 12-32mm go simply because of the lack of focus ring, otherwise an awesome small lens. If the Panasonic had manual focus ring, I would have certainly kept it, even if that would have made it a bit larger. Not a big fan of power zoom, but I can live with it for casual shooting.
  4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I dislike 14mm zooms...therefore the 12-32 wins...besides I own one and it pairs nicely with the epm2 when I take the 20mm off of it.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've tried 2 copies of the 12-32mm and 1 copy of the 14-42 EZ. Both 12-32mm lenses were very sharp on my E-M5 II. The 14-42 EZ I tried was soft in comparison. I might of had a bad copy though. The only thing I don't like about the 12-32 is that it takes a few seconds to wake from sleep which may mean a missed shot.
  6. LucDeSchepper

LucDeSchepper Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Luc de Schepper
    The general consensus is the Panasonic is better optically. If that matters to you (plus 12mm vs 14mm) the Panasonic is the better choice. The 12-32mm plus Tele brother Panadonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 are my holiday lenses on my E-M10. Very low weight and surprisingly good results. Panasonic knows how to make high IQ small lenses. I still very much like the lens on my Panasonic LX3 compact camera.
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Honestly I've never even considered the 14-42 EZ. I also REALY dislike power zooms and prefer the 12mm over 14mm on the wide end.
  8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada