Panasonic 12-32mm on E-PL5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Djarum, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So I'm thinking about picking up this lens. I've been pretty happy with the Olympus 14-42mm kit lens for the most part as a walk around lens. But I'm leaning toward having a 12mm focal length. Has anyone had good luck with this lens on an Olympus body? If so, I have a few questions.

1. How bad is the purple fringing with Olympus Cameras?
    2. Some reports state that its not as "wide" as the 12-50mm at 12mm on an olympus body. I've even seen a few sample images of this. Anyone else see this?

2. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    First the good new, if you're rather happy with the Olympus 14-42, the sharpness of the 12-32 will jump out at you. There has been quite some discussions on the good attributes of the 12-32 on these forums lately; I won't repeat them.

The not so good news is noticeable purple fringing (aka CA) on Olympus TruPics VI bodies, including the E-PL5 using this lens. I have done a test of using 12-32 on TruPics VI against TruPics VII bodies. You will have to decide how serious this problem is. Even that, I use 12-32 on my E-PM2 (performance identical to E-PL5) 90% of the time, I don't look for the CA so it seldom bothers me. When CA is too obvious, I remove it using Aperture. It's not a biggy to me.

The following are 100% crops. I don't need to tell you which is which; the difference is apparent. Both sample are SOOC jpeg, CA not touched up. In short, bodies with TruPics VII remove CA very effectively.

14763751020_42ab85df20_b. E-PM2 with 12-32 CA Illustration by CyberTred, on Flickr
    14927427106_cda765c1bc_b. E-M10 with 12-32 CA Illustration by CyberTred, on Flickr

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I've used 12-32 lens + EP5 almost exclusively for this hiking season and was very happy with results. I don't remember any real issues with purple fringing - may be it happened in couple shots, but certainly wasn't setting a trend.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thanks guys.

That level of CA looks similar to what I occasionally see with the Panasonic 20mm + E-PL5. If I see it I typically just remove it in PP. Have either of you noticed that the 12mm isn't really 12mm? I've heard some reports of this and have also seen some examples of this when compared to the Olpmpus 12-50mm.

5. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Absolutely my experience as well. Most of the time CA isn't a significant issue with this lens.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    The 12-32 is on my EM5 almost all the time as a compact backup to my EM+12-40. Really like the little lens and haven't really noticed the CA in use. Only real disadvantage is there is no way to manual focus it on Olympus bodies as far as I am aware.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    12mm are exactly the same on my 12-32 and 12-35 lenses.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This report here shows otherwise: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53410891

The reason I ask is because some in camera processing may change the effective focal length.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    That report says nothing about 12-35 and I would question its accuracy as things in center of those shots do not match and indicate that camera wasn't in same place. Moreover, for correct test it is the optical center (or whatever the term) that should be in exact same point. I guess for 12mm it's enough to run by just making sure the front element is in same point - which can affect test results given the length of 12-50 vs. 12-32.

PS. camera processing do not change focal length. Shots may appear wider or narrower depending on how much distortion and how well it's corrected by lens firmware.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    That's what I was sort of wondering, how much distortion correction is going on.