1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 12-32 On Olympus Bodies. A Question...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dissembled, Dec 4, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I have the Panasonic 14-42 II which when coupled with my E-M10, sometimes fails to focus during certain scenarios. It's definitely not the camera since my other lens, the Olympus 25/1.8 focuses fine. I'm wondering if the Panasonic 12-32 is similar in that it fails to focus as well in particular situations when coupled with Olympus bodies.

I'm not sure why my particular lens does this. Does the aperture range affect the len's ability to focus during darker or more difficult situations? Or perhaps because Panasonic lenses are not fully compatible with Olympus bodies? Maybe I just got a dud or something. Should I obtain an Olympus-branded kit lens instead of the 12-32? I'm eyeing the Panasonic lens because 14mm is not wide enough for me, and because it's stated multiple times here that the lens is incredibly sharp.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    It's possible that the lens's moderate maximum aperture actually limits its ability to focus in low light conditions. That said, I never had any problems with the 12-32mm on a measly E-PM1 - on the contrary, it actually did focus quickly and accuratly even in the most adverse conditions. Of course, if contrast is too low, no lens will focus on a contrast detection system, but I'm sure you knew that.

The 14-42mm II is optically quite convincing - but mechanically, it's not the best lens out there. I quite like the lens, but have come to really distrust the plastic bayonet - it's already loose. The 12-32mm has a metal bayonet - and good as the 14-42mm II might be, the 12-32mm is the contrastier and altogether more pleasing lens when it comes to IQ.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I'm just wary purchasing a Panasonic lens again since my very first one is problematic. I'm also scared of the possibility of the P12-32 coming apart in the future. I'm not tech-savy at all so attempting to repair it myself is a no-no. Still, 12mm and its sharp nature are enticing characteristics.

4. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I've used my Panny 12-32 on Olympus Pen PL7, E-M10 I & II, and E-M5 II with absolutely no problems. Small and tack sharp.

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I bought a used GM1 w 12-32 as a replacement for an LX5. I've used the 12-32 on my E-M10 some with no problems. Definitely the best IQ I've seen from a kit lens. I've never used the Panny 14-42 II which has a very good rep for IQ, so I can't compare. But I'm very satisfied with the 12-32 so far.

6. Gonewest

Gonewest Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    I use a 12-32 on my E-M5 a lot, especially when hiking, and it has always focussed quickly and accurately. Build quality isn't the greatest and I had it repaired 18 months ago, but it's been fine since. It's one of my most used lenses.

7. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    The 12-32 is my "kit lens" for my E-M10.
    It works perfectly on it. In my opinion, it's the best m43 kit lens when you want something compact.

8. LucDeSchepper

LucDeSchepper Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2014
    Netherlands
    Luc de Schepper
    I agree, excellent combo on my E-M10. Light, compact and good results. I have a set of E-M10/12-32mm images on my Flickr account here Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6

• Like Like x 1
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    To the OP, is it possible that your camera needs a firmware update? I would think that the E-M10, given its release date, would recognize the Pansonic 14-42mm II with its original firmware. But stranger things have happened. Many firmware updates for micro four-thirds cameras are offered because of the introduction of new lenses (from multiple manufacturers) for the system. Or does your Panasonic lens require a firmware update? As unlikely as this may be, you might want to check.

10. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Excellent point....
    Just yesterday I updated my E-M5 II firmware and thought I might as well put my Panasonic 14-42 II on it to see if there was an update for it, since I don't use it that often. Sure enough, there was an update.
    You might be on the right track, sure worth a try.

11. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Panasonic 12-32 it is. Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I also feel that 14mm is not wide enough for me and hence, my decision.

Regarding my Panasonic 14-42....I was thinking of updating the lens firmware before, but I'm scared of mucking up the update and thus in doing so, making the lens a complete brick.

12. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I still don't have the 12-32 but am planning to buy it shortly. I do have some questions beforehand though.

Should I use my E-M10's 3 axis IS or the Panasonic lens's OIS instead? Which system is more effective?

Lastly, what are some ways to prevent the P12-32 from coming apart in the future aside from not storing it in higher temperatures?

Thanks so much.

13. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I leave all of my Oly bodies on "Lens Priority" setting for IS, and have yet to have a problem with Panasonic lenses. Even my Panasonic 100-300 on my E-M5II with its 5 axis stabilization (which is steller with Olympus lenses) is used with the lens OIS. Shooting tests with the 100-300 with the OIS on and off with the E-M5 II (and the E-M10 II when I had it) showed no appreciable difference one way or the other.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes lens priority makes it simple.

15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    But it's not always best. At some shutter speeds one will work better than the other. It's worth experimenting with both of the IS systems over typical shutter speed ranges. A poll of what other people do isn't necessarily going to answer your question. I have three Panasonic with IS and based on my experiments (including the 12-32), find the camera's IBIS to generally be more effective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    When mounting/removing the lens, try not to torque it too fast or with too much strength. And try to grab it near the back by the mount if possible. No guarantees, but these tips should help to minimize any stress on the adhesive holding the lens together.

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
  17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Sooner it falls apart, the sooner you will be able to put in fail-proof glue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    This may an old question already answered, but I'm looking for a clear yes/no. I bought a used Panasonic 12-32 pancake zoom recently and was using it on my EM5. I got some very strange motion blur while shooting at moderately slow shutter speeds like 1/30th. At that speed, I shouldn't have been getting so much motion blur. I know I was holding it steady. I had the EM5 IBIS on, with Lens IS Priority Off. I thought that the IBIS in my EM5 was malfunctioning and was ready to send it to the shop, but tested it with some Olympus lenses and it worked fine. Hmm...

I saw some earlier posts that suggest that the OIS in the 12-32 does NOT shut off when on the EM5, even with Lens IS Priority Off. Some recommend turning off the IBIS in the EM5 body and using just the lens OIS (because there's no off switch for it anyway). The EM5 has the most current firmware.

Would someone please confirm whether the OIS in the 12-32 is NOT controlled by the EM5? A conflict would explain why I got such goofy results with this lens and body.

Thanks.
    ---
    Update: Well, as someone else suggested, I turned Lens IS Priority to On and will try it like that. So, when the 12-32 is mounted, there should be no conflict with the IBIS, which I think is what caused the anomalous results I got with it earlier.

Another update: I tried the lens on the EM5 with Lens IS Priority On. IS seems to be working OK now as shots I made at slow shutter speeds seem to be pretty sharp. Don't have that weird blur that I got with it earlier. Good to know. If the lens has OIS, and there is no on-off switch for it, it's better to have Lens IS Priority On so that the Olympus IBIS isn't fighting with it. The only other Panasonic lens I had, a 45-200, had an OIS switch, so I turned it off to use on my Olympus.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I picked up the Lumix 14-42 II to replace my Oly 14-42 II R and was very pleased with its sharpness, contrast, build and compactness. IMO, it's got much better IQ than the Oly. But I eventually got the 14-140 II and then added the 12-32 for the wide end, so I recently sold off the 14-42 II after it sat unused for quite a while.

When I got the 12-32 lens a while back, I only used it around the house to test it. Last week I went out with it as my only lens on my E-M10 (lens IS priority on). I was amazed at just how sharp this lens is. The sun was very bright, so I put a circular polarizer on it. Anyway, I applied my typical LR processing, and some of the images seem over sharpened and too contrasty. I don't use polarizers much at all and rarely use hoods, so I'm used to having to punch up often washed out images. I think I'll have to start using hoods or a polarizer and tone back my processing for photos taken outdoors in very bright sun. Anyway, so far very pleased with this lens!

[​IMG]
    Mama Goat
    by Margaret Wilson, on Flickr

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 2