Panasonic 1080p Video Quality (specifically, GF7 vs GX7)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Estrellas321, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Has anyone used these two cameras and noticed any difference in video quality of them? I own a GX7 and can vouch that the video quality is very good.

I'm looking to get a smaller camera to compliment my GX7, and was thinking of getting the GF7. They are pretty cheap nowadays and the selfie screen (don't hate me) would be fun to take pictures of my toddler daughter I would think. But I would also like to make sure I get good video out of it. I would assume the GF7 has at least as good quality as the GM5, but I am not considering the GM5.

Another unrelated question: I read people didn't like the GM1 because of the scroll wheel, which was fixed in the GM5. Does the GF7 suffer from this same problem?

2. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    Interested as well...think about getting the GF7

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just look at a picture - the GF7 clearly has the annoying GM1 scroll wheel... they didn't fix it in the GM5, they replaced it with a nice clickable dial.

4. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Okay, I guess it's just a preference thing. The LX100 had a scroll wheel and I didn't find it that annoying or loose to click around.

5. wjiang

The GM1's problem is that the wheel is too small and it's too easy to accidentally press the buttons that it surrounds. I imagine the LX100 being bigger might help.

6. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I watched some GF7 clips on Youtube last night. Results seem to vary, perhaps on lenses, user, and most importantly, light. Indoor/night shots looked rather poor but they were probably using a slow shutter speed or high ISO with kit lens. Hard to tell because they don't mention it.

There are some pretty decent results on some videos though. I was particularly impressed this and this.

Problem is, if I buy it and don't really like it, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resell it unless it's REALLY cheap. I may just give it to my daughter (who's 2 at the moment) for when she grows up a few years more...maybe we'll still only be at 20mp by then :p

7. karma

karma Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Peter
    The scroll wheel is less fiddly on the GF7 than on the GM1 (I own both.) Also being a physically larger body, the wheel is less prone to accidental presses on the GF7.

The GF7's a great deal at current prices. It gets a bad rep because it's marketed as a "selfie" camera but the flip-up LCD is actually really useful and something I wish the GM series had.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you for that - great to have an answer from someone that's owned/used both.

Not going to lie, I'm looking to get this for my "for fun" camera, primarily taking pictures with my 2-year old daughter, using the flip screen to either a) mount somewhere and see the screen to better compose ourselves, or b) take a selfie...duh :)

9. karma

karma Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Peter
    That's the main reason I picked up the GF7 too, for pictures with our 2 year old. My wife also finds it easier to compose shots by having the LCD half up and shooting at waist level.

For your purposes, I think it's a great option. The only caveat I would say is that it's geared towards the point n shoot crowd. I would love to have more Fn buttons, but then again that's why my wife doesn't like using the other cameras we have. [emoji2]

10. wjiang

Good to know. I actually miss having a tilt screen for waist shooting more than I like the viewfinder in the GM5.

11. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Super unrelated: I sold a lens locally via Craigslist and he happened to bring a GF7 with him to test the lens. First time I ever saw/held the camera in person.

Pretty much what I expected. I don't care for the cheap quality, but if it's going to be cheap, I think I will pick up a white or brown coloured version so it ends up looking cheap by default! If only it had the blue from the GM1, then I'd be all over that.

One thing I was worried about is the super flimsy pop-up flash. For some reason, it was hard to click back down. I almost gave it back to the guy for him to do it himself because I didn't want to break it!