1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic 100-400mm with G80 or G9

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by broadway, Feb 13, 2018.

1. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Which is the better match without a grip?

I have a G80 and have a G9 on order, but I'm having second thoughts as they are both "large" cameras. I either case I want a more compact camera for walking or at least a better method of carrying one (but that's a separate issue).

2. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    At the moment i use my 100-400 on a G80 i felt the need to add a grip for a better hold, only handled the G9 in a shop with a short lens on but didnt think i would need a grip.
    Do you get on ok with the handling of the none gripped g80 and 100-400 at the moment.

3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I think if you will be using a 100-400 neither will be too large. any smaller and you may have problems with the 100-400.
    By the time you grip a smaller camera you will be no smaller in practical terms with the 100-400

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Myself I think EVF is the important feature, not grip... Why not treat yourself to the second body being compact?
    This is why I have a GF1 and a GH1

5. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    Is there something I am missing on bigger lenses needing a gigantic grip? Surely you are supporting the camera by the lens with anything bigger than the P35-100 f2.8? What is the big deal?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I found it was the zooming of the 100-400 that required me to have a substantial grip,the reason i got rid of the GX8 was it was twisting the camera into my hand and i was pressing buttons, i now have a 100-400 that is easier to zoom so it may not be the case now.
    I just like a bit of bulk to hold so long as its not heavy.

7. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    I was thinking the 100-400mm would be a better match to the G9 due to it's size rather than the G80. I did try a 100-400mm sometime ago and I recall it was rather stiff.

If I didn't cancel the G9 the G80 would be sold, in either case I will be thinking about a second camera.

8. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Well, if you have the G9 already on order, you should slap the 100-400 on when it arrives to see how it feels. If you don't like it, you can return it, but if you like it, you can keep it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I should have added that it would only work it you already have the 100-400.

10. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    As I want a compact camera the GX9 release makes me think that ta G9/GX9 combination would make a good pairing rather than the G80. I only bought the G80 as a replacement for a GX7 that had an argument with a water bottle in my canvas bag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.