1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 100-400mm lens shots

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Wasabi Bob, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just posted several photos I took earlier this week at Imaging USA in Atlanta. These are “out of camera” – no Photoshop work. I shot these using a GX8, most of them at ISO 1600. For an early sample, these look pretty good. More on my Flickr account at
    H-RS100400 100-400 Panasonic Lens

I just realized that the date was incorrectly set on my camera! P1000405.JPG P1000409.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thanks for the first hand information. Can you give us a review of the lens?

3. Wasabi Bob

I had the opportunity to use it at the Imagining USA show in Atlanta earlier this week. The Panasonic guys made it very clear that it was a very early sample. Build quality of this lens is very solid. This is a heavier and longer lens than most are accustomed to using. While I shot it hand held, a monopod or tripod are definitely advised. Dual IS (GX8) made shooting this lens very easy. I do hope to be able to get my hands on a sample in the near future. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions that others may have.

4. Whatiam

Whatiam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 14, 2014
    Were you able to try close focus capability? The lens supposedly focuses to 1.3 meters giving a magnification of .25x. I'm curious as to whether it focuses that close across the entire zoom range.

5. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Really interesting images!
    I pre-ordered the first day the Leica 100-400mm was available.
    Interesting because some of the first images where the ISO is pushed
    for mFT standards.....on some images ISO 3200! Now that is testament to the GX8
    and this lens.
    What noise killing software do you use?????'
    The images are all fantastic. Can't wait until this lens ships.

6. Wasabi Bob

Those posted are all 100% out of camera with no NR. Internal camera settings were all default. When I use NR I use DxO. DxO is the only software I know of that applies specific NR based on the camera you use. DxO analyzes each camera model and build a custom noise profile for the camera and lens.

7. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Thanks for mentioning DXO. I too use DXO Optics 10....I'll def. use it when the 100-400 gets here.

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Those are some nice images.

10. Nice piece of gear! A touch long for portraiture though, don' you think? LOL