Panasonic 100-400...

Mark Clark

Mu-43 Rookie
I am thinking about purchasing this lens to go with the new Panasonic G9. My concern is the zoom ring being too stiff. Is that still an issue with this lens?

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
Had one when they first came out and the zoom ring was stiffish, just ordered one for Friday will try to remember to report back.it could just have been the sealing gaskets though.

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
No stiffness here too. Bought earlier this year.

Aperture Don

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am thinking about purchasing this lens to go with the new Panasonic G9. My concern is the zoom ring being too stiff. Is that still an issue with this lens?

I bought mine about 4 months after it was released, and mine is fine. I don't think that there was ever a real problem, but you can't please everybody.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Never knew there was an issue with this lens. There is another post with the same topic. Just make sure the lock is "off" for the telescoping part of the lens. If you have it partially locked or locked - it will be very stiff!

Tom-Tec

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom
Had my one a few months now , no problem with it , very smooth and only wish I had it a few years ago :2thumbs:

panamike

Mu-43 Legend
I bought mine about 4 months after it was released, and mine is fine. I don't think that there was ever a real problem, but you can't please everybody.

There most definitely was a problem with some, my first one was one of them, if you tried zooming it wanted to twist the camera,it did get better but after 11 months the end section of the lens wobbled in the main body.
Its my feeling it was to do with the seal gaskets and to be fair to Panasonic they did offer a new one and i had used mine for 11 months.

Ziggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mine's stiffer than that on all my other zooms. The unit certainly doesn't need a zoom lock.

It's a minor irritation. I'd rather it was smoother but it doesn't stop me.

Real Name
Matt
I have a copy as well that is "stiff". I want to point out that stiff is not a great description of what I and I think others are experiencing. Stiff, to me, implies harder or needing more force to rotate in one or both directions while zooming. This would be acceptable in my view if it was a smooth and even stiffness throughout the zoom range.

My copy appears to be "rough" to rotate. The difference being not only is it stiff but that stiffness creates a choppy or uneven rotation when zooming. It is most noticeable at the far end from 300-400mm.

I am used to the silky smooth zooming of the Olympus 12-100, 12-40 and 40-150 which are magic and the gold standard by which to compare. That said even if the Oly zooms became suddenly "stiffer" to rotate they would still be smoooooth as silk.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I have a copy as well that is "stiff". I want to point out that stiff is not a great description of what I and I think others are experiencing. Stiff, to me, implies harder or needing more force to rotate in one or both directions while zooming. This would be acceptable in my view if it was a smooth and even stiffness throughout the zoom range.

My copy appears to be "rough" to rotate. The difference being not only is it stiff but that stiffness creates a choppy or uneven rotation when zooming. It is most noticeable at the far end from 300-400mm.

I am used to the silky smooth zooming of the Olympus 12-100, 12-40 and 40-150 which are magic and the gold standard by which to compare. That said even if the Oly zooms became suddenly "stiffer" to rotate they would still be smoooooth as silk.
It's interesting, Panasonic can definitely make butter-smooth zoom rings (the PL12-60's mechanism is as good as any lens I have ever seen). I'm guessing the issues on the PL100-400 must have to do with how they've implemented the zoom lock...

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
It's interesting, Panasonic can definitely make butter-smooth zoom rings (the PL12-60's mechanism is as good as any lens I have ever seen). I'm guessing the issues on the PL100-400 must have to do with how they've implemented the zoom lock...
It's possible the zoom lock may have something to do with it. It may also be due to the design of the helicoid, or the selection of materials (bearings, grease, etc.).

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
My wife and I have two of these. Mine was much stiffer for about the 1st month, but it’s smooth now. My wife’s has been fine from the beginning.

szczepanl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Luke Szczepaniak
I have a copy that is about 1 year old and is nice and smooth. My only problem with the lens is that I don't have enough time to use it!

Real Name
Matt
...My copy appears to be "rough" to rotate. The difference being not only is it stiff but that stiffness creates a choppy or uneven rotation when zooming. It is most noticeable at the far end from 300-400mm.

LENS UPDATE:
Reporting back that I take time each day to simply rotate the zoom ring about 100+ times a day (yes really) in an attempt to loosen and smooth the zooming. I do not often get to use this lens as it is fairly specialized so this is my attempt to simulate repeated use. Anyway, I am happy to report back that it is working to some small extent and the zoom is loosening up and getting a bit smoother but still not close to what I would like to see in a lens of this caliber. Still worse at the more critical (to me) 250-400 end of the zoom range as well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom