Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by rwingsfan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Size is not a issue for me so that's out of the way. Can buy either of these options around the same price. Better or worse? I am still struggling picking a new body also (between G85 & E-M1 II) Will either of these work about the same or will IQ be better on one?

2. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    It's probably much of a muchness, between the advantage of having a native lens vs using a lens with adapter which you can also use with a different camera system.

I haven't shot with the PanaLeica, but I do own the Canon LII, plus all three Metabones adapters (glassless, 0.71X, and 0.64X, and yes, they do all fit my Pen F and E-M1 II), and the Canon works very well indeed with all three, focus is fast enough for me, but I haven't tried any BIF etc., as I use it mostly for macro and landscapes :). Still need to check how sharp it really is, but I normally find I really only do it if I find it lacking :), which it clearly isn't ....

As to bodies, based on my current experience, E-M1 II is the way to go for this lens :).

Kind regards, Wim

3. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Interesting. I have purchased the E-M1.2 so that part is settled. Part of my thinks the Canon route is better because I can pick up a cheap 40D or something down the road, but the Pana would be much lighter. I guess IQ is the determining factor for me.

4. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    For me it was a simple choice. I don't shoot long tele often, I also shoot Canon FF, and have a bunch of lenses for it; they are also lenses which are not common with MFT, or don't exist for MFT (like the TS-Es and MP-E), so going the Metabones way was the obvious option. And seeing what the results were with the first one I got, the 0.64X, I decided to get all three, for more options :).

I just love it :).

Generally speaking, my Canon I use these days for special shoots only, while I always carry MFT gear with me.

Kind regards, Wim

5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I own both the PL 100-400 and the Canon 100-400 L II, which I used with the 7D Mk II. Now that I have the E-M 1 Mk II and some good telephoto lenses, I intend to sell my entire Canon kit. As for lens quality, both are superb. I don't think you will see enough to distinguish them wrt IQ.

I think the answer to your question really depends on what your long-term intentions are. If you really want to use it for two different systems (I don't, which is why I'm dumping one), then the Canon would allow that. What/how you want to shoot also matters. If you want to use it for BIF on your E-M1 Mk II, I'd definitely advise getting a native m4/3 lens (either the PL or the Oly 300) and would see no need for getting a Canon. While I suppose the Canon lens and an adapter would perform okay-ish on a m4/3 body, if you are going to shoot action with it I have to think you are practically condemning yourself to having to upgrade later on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    If you already have Canon equipment it makes sense to go with Metabones. If you don't ,use specific M-43 equipment. If you use Canon you will have a heavier rig plus the expense of the adapter.

7. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    As far as I know, pro capture won't work with Pana lenses in E-M1 MKII.
    So if BIF is the plan, and the plan is also using pro capture I would do some research at that subject.

8. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    What is "pro capture"?

9. Sniksekk

Apr 7, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Pro capture won't work with a Canon lens on the Olympus E-M1 Mark II. So that's a mute issue while comparing those two lenses.

11. Sniksekk

Apr 7, 2015
    I agree with that, but it was mostly a notification to OP that "don't buy EM1 MK11, instead of G85 if the main reason you buy it is because of the great Pro Capture feature." It won't work (afaik) with other lenses.
    My explanation was rubbish, just mentioning the Pana. Should have brought Canon name up at the same time.