Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by rwingsfan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Size is not a issue for me so that's out of the way. Can buy either of these options around the same price. Better or worse? I am still struggling picking a new body also (between G85 & E-M1 II) Will either of these work about the same or will IQ be better on one?

2. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    It's probably much of a muchness, between the advantage of having a native lens vs using a lens with adapter which you can also use with a different camera system.

I haven't shot with the PanaLeica, but I do own the Canon LII, plus all three Metabones adapters (glassless, 0.71X, and 0.64X, and yes, they do all fit my Pen F and E-M1 II), and the Canon works very well indeed with all three, focus is fast enough for me, but I haven't tried any BIF etc., as I use it mostly for macro and landscapes :). Still need to check how sharp it really is, but I normally find I really only do it if I find it lacking :), which it clearly isn't ....

As to bodies, based on my current experience, E-M1 II is the way to go for this lens :).

Kind regards, Wim

3. rwingsfan

rwingsfan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Tony
    Interesting. I have purchased the E-M1.2 so that part is settled. Part of my thinks the Canon route is better because I can pick up a cheap 40D or something down the road, but the Pana would be much lighter. I guess IQ is the determining factor for me.

4. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    For me it was a simple choice. I don't shoot long tele often, I also shoot Canon FF, and have a bunch of lenses for it; they are also lenses which are not common with MFT, or don't exist for MFT (like the TS-Es and MP-E), so going the Metabones way was the obvious option. And seeing what the results were with the first one I got, the 0.64X, I decided to get all three, for more options :).

I just love it :).

Generally speaking, my Canon I use these days for special shoots only, while I always carry MFT gear with me.

Kind regards, Wim

5. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I own both the PL 100-400 and the Canon 100-400 L II, which I used with the 7D Mk II. Now that I have the E-M 1 Mk II and some good telephoto lenses, I intend to sell my entire Canon kit. As for lens quality, both are superb. I don't think you will see enough to distinguish them wrt IQ.

I think the answer to your question really depends on what your long-term intentions are. If you really want to use it for two different systems (I don't, which is why I'm dumping one), then the Canon would allow that. What/how you want to shoot also matters. If you want to use it for BIF on your E-M1 Mk II, I'd definitely advise getting a native m4/3 lens (either the PL or the Oly 300) and would see no need for getting a Canon. While I suppose the Canon lens and an adapter would perform okay-ish on a m4/3 body, if you are going to shoot action with it I have to think you are practically condemning yourself to having to upgrade later on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    If you already have Canon equipment it makes sense to go with Metabones. If you don't ,use specific M-43 equipment. If you use Canon you will have a heavier rig plus the expense of the adapter.

7. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    As far as I know, pro capture won't work with Pana lenses in E-M1 MKII.
    So if BIF is the plan, and the plan is also using pro capture I would do some research at that subject.

8. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    What is "pro capture"?

9. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1