Panasonic 100-400 on a GX85?

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
Is anyone using this lens and camera combo? Is the Panasonic 100-400 too much lens for the smaller GX85?
I have a GX85 and want to buy a telephoto lens for the camera and I am considering the Panasonic 100-300 MkII and the Panasonic 100-400. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Karen

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
As I'm sure you know, any micro four-thirds lens will work on any micro four-thirds camera body. In the case of the combination you are talking about, it would be a case of mounting the camera on the lens, not the lens on the camera, if you get my drift.

Assuming you are right-handed, you would probably grasp the 100-400 underneath with your left hand - just forward of the camera body. Then you would operate the camera with your right hand.

Now, having said that, only you can tell whether that kind of arrangement works for you. There's no getting around it: The PL 100-400 is a big, heavy lens by micro four-thirds standards. And the GX85 is one of the smallest and lightest bodies.

Personally, I'd prefer the Panny 100-300 II on the GX85. But you're in Ottawa. Is there a camera store where you can actually try out both lenses - even if you have to bring your own camera in? I think it would be worth the trouble.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Try adding the additional dummy grip that was released for the GX9 with the 100-400. I would guesstimate that you will find the 100-300 good with the body as it is, I at least did that with the GX7, but it was great on the GX8.

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
When I was looking for my GX85 nobody in Ottawa stocked it and they wouldn't even bring one in on spec but they might have a better selection of lenses. That's a good idea. When things open up again here I could give it a try.

I put this aftermarket grip on my GX85 and I love it, even with the tiniest of lenses. It attaches to the camera with sticky tape and I have never had trouble with it coming loose. I liked the fact that it didn't add anything to the bottom of my camera. You're right, the grip will make a difference with the longer lens.

Nice to know the Panasonic 100-300 MKII will be a good combo. It is hard to decide if I should "go big or go home" when buying a telephoto lens. I read lots of posts about people upgrading to the 100-400 lenses.

IMG_1610.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I would also suggest the Olympus 75-300 would be a better fit for that body. It's probably the lightest m43 telephoto zoom, so you wouldn't need to add a grip.
I believe it's currently less expensive than the Panasonic 100-300, and the wider FL is handy. I also have the Panny 100-300, but you need to get the aftermarket lens collar (so there's another $100).

If you must go the 100-400 route, consider the new Olympus 100-400. It plays better with Olympus bodies (which would future-proof your gear) and doesn't have the quality control issues of the Panasonic version.

I've used all of the above.

If your budget is a big constraint I would also suggest the Panasonic 45-200. I have the original version, which is a very good value if you can find a used copy.

I have the Panasonic GX85 and an Olympus Em1.2. I consider the GX85 a gateway camera - a very good value but it does have its limitations.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
He is using a Panasonic Camera, I would go with the Pany lens. I've got about 30K shot on mine with no issues.
HeronJ.jpg

11GTCS

Mu-43 Veteran
I don’t see why not. I didn’t have the 85 and 100-400 at the same time, but I did mount it on my E-M10ii and 5ii without issue. with a lens as large as the 100-400 (not that it’s really that large), I usually end up holding the lens more than the camera, the camera just becomes what I use to push the shutter if that makes sense.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'd hugely recommend a pistol grip to go under the tripod foot of the lens, rather than adding a grip to the body. You could do both, of course. Just from personal experience using the Tamron 180mm long term on the E-P5, it's gonna feel a lot better having something that lets you support it under your elbow/bicep easily than your wrist.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is anyone using this lens and camera combo? Is the Panasonic 100-400 too much lens for the smaller GX85?
I have a GX85 and want to buy a telephoto lens for the camera and I am considering the Panasonic 100-300 MkII and the Panasonic 100-400. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Karen
Hi Karen. I used my Panasonic 100-400 with my GX7 which is about the same size/weight as your GX85. It worked fine although I preferred to use it with my G85 mainly because I preferred the better ergonomics. In any case, I would hold the camera/lens combo the same way, no matter which camera I was using: left hand supporting/operating the lens, right hand supporting/operating the camera. I wouldn't let the fact that you're using a GX85 stop you from getting the 100-400 if that's the lens you want. It's a great lens.

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying the P100-300 MKII used for a good price. I thought the smaller lens would be a good entry level lens for me and I can always sell it later at not too much of a loss if I want to upgrade. Now all I need is some warmer weather up here in Canada and the birds to return.

Last edited:

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
Here's my first keeper with my new/used P100-300 MKII. This is our laneway out the back of the farm. I took it at 1/10sec handheld with very numb fingers from the cold.

P1040120v3large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I'm a broken record when it comes to touting the 100-300 lens. It is great with good technique and punches well above its price class. In comparing to the 100-400, it has equivalent aperture through the FL ranges they share. The longer lens only gets you the length, plus weight and cost. To me, that was never worth it.

Neon Birding

Mu-43 Veteran
My experience with the GX85 and 100-400 is a tripod or at least a monopod should be used if you want good useable quality of video with the combo. For photos no tripod or mono needed as long as shutter speeds keep up with your skills and the movement of subject.. The combo work well, and you'll get long reach and high quality outcomes based on your skills and technique..

I also agree that with Lumix GX85 or any MFT camera with a 16mp sensor the Panasonic 100-300 would be a better match. For 20mp mft I would recommend any of the Elmar or Elmarit telephotos Lenses as these newer lenses take full advantage of the higher pixel density cameras.

Latest threads

Top Bottom