Panasonic 100-400 combined with a Panasonic G9, or Olympus EM1-3

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

Bit of a case indecision over here. My girlfriend and I are both using M43, interchangebly (not sure if that’s a word). We have a EM5-3 and we’re considering to upgrade our EM10-2

We are very happy to own a Panasonic 100-400 which is more or less glued to the EM5-3.

So we could go either for EM1-3 or a G9. Especially the joystick for focus would be nice to have. And we would glue the 100-400 to one of these cams.

https://j.mp/3sNbCIt

7260E384-0770-468F-98AB-DC8DACFF0E22.png

Depsite doom and gloom about the camera market, there are a lot of choices 😅

I have a slight preference to stay with Olympus, and keep things as similar as possible. But with the G9 you get stabilisation in lens and cam working together. The EM-5 might have better autofocus (?) ..

Another option would be to do nothing, and wait what the (near) future brings.

Anyone have some thoughts?

(edit: there are also some price and size/weight penalty’s involved. But we except those)

Last edited:

amp

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a G9 along with the Panasonic 100-400. The two are inseparable! I'm very happy with this combo. That's my vote. Fortunately, you can't go wrong with either camera!
Good luck.

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
Keep in mind with the G9, you will have both in-body and lens stabilization. Olympus you will have to choose one or the other.

I've EM1 2 and Panasonic 100-400 glued to it.
Also EM5 2 and 3.
I'd favour the EM1 2 over my 5 3.
Personally I'd stick with Olympus camera as you can virtually set the 5 and the 1 up the same and pick one or other and no fumbling over buttons, menus etc.
Quality of output I'd suggest would be similar judging on photos one sees around the Web.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mine is glued to the g9.
Tbh I’ve never considered placing it on the em1-3.

atomicmak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mital Patel
Hi @AmritR ,
I have been using Oly for long time and yes I do own the GH5 too from panasonic but that is sole use of video which I do sometimes.
What I found is as my personal opinion to give Oly a better chance for the fact that it has a less lag on the evf or shutter during the action if you are into wildlife compare to the Panasonic. I am not sure about the G9 but i have read reports of it and one of my birding friend use it as light weight travel kit along with PL 100-400 for static subjects.
I happen to speak to him about the kit and he was in a way disappointed in G9 for action or moments to capture ..

I wont say g9 is bad or oly is best but so far my experience with Oly is better than panasonic for the photos .. If its video I would put my money on panasonic.

Hope this help

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
if you don't need the functions of the EM1.3 then stick with another EM5.3. Having the same battery for two bodies is a big advantage, in my opinion.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
try the G9 - in the unlikely event you don't like it, the used market is good for them

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
It’s right at home on my G9, and the dual-IS is much appreciated when I'm shooting at 400mm. I use digital zoom to hit my focus, resulting in something more like 800mm handheld through the viewfinder. Larger BIF seems to do fine, but I'm not exactly great at that category.

I think getting a G9 would give you the best performance out of this lens, not only because of the Dual-IS functionality, but also because it is compatible with Panasonics DfD AF system. Having said that, the Panasonic 100-400 has been around since a few years now and, due to the lack of comparable zoom options from Olympus, has been used on Olympus cameras since quite a while and so far I haven't heard of any specific downsides with such a combination.
Personally I'd just get what you think might fit you more, as Turbodieselvw already stated, the ability to have single set of batteries with another E-M5 Mark III shouldn't be underestimated. In addition of course you'd be already familiar with the camera and wouldn't have to adapt to a different menu system or control scheme. The E-M1 Mark III on the other hand offers new possibilities with things like HHHR mode, Live ND filter and quite an improved IBIS system, although you'd also need to get new batteries with this one.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
All, thnx again!

It has arrived:

tatadadadaa (marching band sound):

3B6E5539-07DE-4832-BFB3-1A98A483CC70.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I did not order the package including the lens, the lens was taken out so body only. Seems they are offloading stock.

Now I do think both the Em1-3 and this G9 are both excellent camera’s. In the end one main reason to go for the G9: Dual Sync of both lens and body stabilisation. I also went through some recents pictures, and more stabilisation would have been beneficial.

Another thing that being a Dutchmen I couldn’t ignore, despite my previous claim that the price didn’t matter, the G9 was 700 euro’s less exxpensive then the EM1-3. No fault there for the EM1-3, it’s a newer camera and seems very refined. If there had been dual sync between the Olympus and the Pan 100-400 the Oly would have been the choice.

I could name some other considerations as well, but this did it in the end.

There was/is also some doubt.

- Does Panasonic have something in the works. I would not be surprised if Panasonic releases a GH6 and/or G10 some time this year. If they still think it’s commercially viable.
Then again, it’s now becoming spring, the weather is improving these days, and we already enjoy the Panasonic 100-400. What matters is now. We’ll see what the future holds.

And yes, different batteries, menu, controls, I’ll have to deal with that.

Another doubt: The Nikon Z5 + 24-200. That is some good package. I would not be surprised if this cam (& lens combo) is selling excellent. In fact I would be surprised if it didn’t
And I also really like the Panasonic S5 + L-mount. It’s good to have a more open lens mount for FX in the market. And there is a interesting lens selection for the L-mount.

But FX: cost and weight + size.

Last point, been experimenting with DXO Photolab Pro 4 (trial) and positively surprised by the results with some iso 3200 and higher pictures.
All the advancements of smartphones will be coming to dedicated camera’s as well, maybe a bit slower, no longer a leader but a follower. But still.

The battery just finshed charging, I’ll dive into the buttons and menu. Being male I will obviously ignore the manual as long as I can :drinks:

cheers.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
All, thnx again!

It has arrived:

tatadadadaa (marching band sound):

View attachment 878788

I did not order the package including the lens, the lens was taken out so body only. Seems they are offloading stock.

Now I do think both the Em1-3 and this G9 are both excellent camera’s. In the end one main reason to go for the G9: Dual Sync of both lens and body stabilisation. I also went through some recents pictures, and more stabilisation would have been beneficial.

Another thing that being a Dutchmen I couldn’t ignore, despite my previous claim that the price didn’t matter, the G9 was 700 euro’s less exxpensive then the EM1-3. No fault there for the EM1-3, it’s a newer camera and seems very refined. If there had been dual sync between the Olympus and the Pan 100-400 the Oly would have been the choice.

I could name some other considerations as well, but this did it in the end.

There was/is also some doubt.

- Does Panasonic have something in the works. I would not be surprised if Panasonic releases a GH6 and/or G10 some time this year. If they still think it’s commercially viable.
Then again, it’s now becoming spring, the weather is improving these days, and we already enjoy the Panasonic 100-400. What matters is now. We’ll see what the future holds.

And yes, different batteries, menu, controls, I’ll have to deal with that.

Another doubt: The Nikon Z5 + 24-200. That is some good package. I would not be surprised if this cam (& lens combo) is selling excellent. In fact I would be surprised if it didn’t
And I also really like the Panasonic S5 + L-mount. It’s good to have a more open lens mount for FX in the market. And there is a interesting lens selection for the L-mount.

But FX: cost and weight + size.

Last point, been experimenting with DXO Photolab Pro 4 (trial) and positively surprised by the results with some iso 3200 and higher pictures.
All the advancements of smartphones will be coming to dedicated camera’s as well, maybe a bit slower, no longer a leader but a follower. But still.

The battery just finshed charging, I’ll dive into the buttons and menu. Being male I will obviously ignore the manual as long as I can :drinks:

cheers.
Sure, you can ignore the manual, but will you stop and ask for directions (here)? :D

Congrats. The G9 is such a comfortable camera in-hand, with so many controls right where you'd expect them to be. My advice is to program the front buttons to AF far and AF near, making it a snap to get the camera to cycle focus through busy settings. It often is just the nudge your camera needs for the times it isn't reading your mind. :) Just hold down any programmable button long enough, and it will pop up the menu to change its setting.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Sure, you can ignore the manual, but will you stop and ask for directions (here)? :D

Congrats. The G9 is such a comfortable camera in-hand, with so many controls right where you'd expect them to be. My advice is to program the front buttons to AF far and AF near, making it a snap to get the camera to cycle focus through busy settings. It often is just the nudge your camera needs for the times it isn't reading your mind. :) Just hold down any programmable button long enough, and it will pop up the menu to change its setting.
The AF Far/Near Fn buttons are super handy when shooting anywhere with foliage, trees, through a dirty window, etc. And the one FN button that I love for full shooting in full manual is "One Push AE" to quickly set settings for proper exposure.
Panasonic has an exhaustive list of FN button options, and some of them are really thoughtful or downright innovative. I can't live without those those three FN buttons. I scanned the list of Oly FN button options and there is nothing close to those and I was surprised it has about a third of the options that Panny offers. But I will reserve judgement till I actually get to try out an Em1iii

I have had Oly Cameras even an M1X. I also have a G-9. They are are both big lens loving cameras, Big grip, Big viewfinders. I love the ease of operation of the G-9 ,and it is lighter but substantial. Easy to switch settings . Lots of buttons, I usually grab the G-9. I don't really notice a problem with IS on the Panny.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
well, I gave up trying myself after about 15 minutes :whistling:
First used the added short manual, and then later dwonloaded the full manual.
Saturday I ordered this book: Panasonic Lumix G DC-G9Für bessere Fotos von Anfang an! (my German reading is fluent, but I may need to switch the G9 to German. My girlfriend is going to enjoy that :ninja: )

The developers at Panasonic took a different strategy it seems, fed up with constant nagging about features. ‘Let’s just make EVERYHING configurable, that will show them whiners’ 😅

The G9 is a really nice cam. I do hope it works out for M43 in the future, and a worthy successor will be introduced at some point.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom