1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 100-400 0n OM-D E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by moonhawk, Feb 17, 2016.

1. moonhawk

moonhawk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Greetings all. I'm new to this forum, and new to M 4/3, having used Nikon for many years. I'm currently putting together a system wih an E-M1 for travel/backup, or maybe full time.

I'll need a long telephoto, and was wondering if the upcoming Panasonic 100-400 would be able to use it's IS, along with the in body IS of the Oly, and also if that combination would be weather sealed.

I suspect the answer to the latter is "no," but hopefully someone better versed in these systems can give me a definitive answer. If no, I'll be going for the new Oly 300, but I like the longer reach and the zoom range of the Panny.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    As far as I know, you will have to use either bot not both IS. Isn't the 100-400 weather sealed?

3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Dual IS won't work on the Olympus body. It may work on Panasonic bodies that have IBIS. I believe it is weather-sealed, although Panasonic does not use that term. Panasonic says,
    • Ideally suited for the outdoors with a splash and dustproof sealed body. (When combined with splash and dustproof LUMIX G Mirrorless camera models.

4. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    Does it mean that it will work as Dual IS on my GX-7 or does it need one of the newer bodies like GX-8 that support dual IS?

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    It has to be one of the newer Panasonic bodies that have in-body-image stabilization. As far as I can tell, that's limited to the GX8. However, even without Dual-IS on the EM1, I'm pretty sure the IBIS in the Olympus will be very effective with the Panasonic lens. The OIS in the lens should work fine with other Panasonic bodies. Olympus supports Dual-IS with the new Olympus 300mm f4 Pro.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. moonhawk

moonhawk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Yes, the lens is weather sealed, but I'm trying to figure out if the seal or gasket or whatevewr mates with the Em1 body. I plan to use it in a sea kayak, and I'd hate to ruin it.

7. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I'm looking at the 100-400 as an upgrade to my Panny 100-300. I'm assuming it will work the same as the 100-300 on my E-M5II; either use the OIS of the lens, or the IBIS, but not both. I use the OIS with my current pairing, as my testing shows it to be the equal of the IBIS for my style of shooting. I'm hoping the same holds true with the new 100-400. I will wait for others to report on how well the new OIS works as standalone before giving up my beloved 100-300, though.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think the best place to ask is Panasonic support and Olympus support. It's already extremely difficult to say how good is weather sealing for an Olympus body with an Olympus lens: light rain, full rain, full shower, drop in the water, for how long? There are several user experiences around but it is hard to isolate luck from the equation and no real IPX certification from manufacturers.
    I doubt the mount sealing is part of the m43 standard, but the mount is, so maybe it just works.

About IS you have to choose one: lens or body.

9. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Can you not set the EM1 to select the lens OIS in preference to IBIS when a stabilized lens is fitted? I'm sure I have seen this somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Yes, you set the "Lens I.S Priority" menu option to "on". Works as advertised.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. moonhawk

moonhawk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Thanks all, for you replies. I am glad I joined this forum.

12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, a Pana weather sealed lens will still be sealed on a sealed Oly body. There's an O-ring on the back of the lens.

A full dunk in salt water would probably be a death sentence though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    From my experience, it is very good. I had to break the ice couple of time to be able to zoom on this walk - when I got home I ran water on it in the sink. When the EM-1 came out, Ming Thein ran hot water on it in his shower for 30 minutes.

12374777395_8bde4874e4_b. Freezing temperatures by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Thanks Gary, that's what I thought. So no need to keep selecting one over the other, just set preferences in camera and you are good to go. I think that lens stabilization is as good as IBIS in most cases, and probably better with the longer focal lengths.

15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I used an Olympus 12-50 on an EM5 through some very rainy days on a trip to Japan. The Olympus 50-200 SWD on an EM1 with an MMF-3 adaptor went through several rain showers and a driving rainstorm and it came through unscathed. I got soaked, the camera didn't. I used a 12-40 Pro on the EM1 in falling snow and through snowball hits and drops in the snow and it also came through without flinching. I'm pretty confident now in their weathersealing and a firm believer in it. :)

I've even heard of some people accidentally dunking their camera in water and it surviving, but I would never do that intentionally. I don't have that much confidence in the weathersealing. They didn't say it was waterPROOF. :-O

16. moonhawk

moonhawk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Yeah, don't plan on doing that!

I keep my camera in a dry sack until I'm ready to shoot. This camera is going to be a LOT easier to handle than my D7100 0r D810 with a 200-500 f/5.6, sitting a closed cockpit kayak.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have no doubt on the quality of the E-M1 sealing: there are a few videos on youtube, one with the camera half submerged powered on.

But would I do the same with my camera with a lens that may have not been tested for sealing on that specific body? I think it has been tested, but it is just an hypothesis.

I do not expect to see many answer here from users that did that kind of testing with the Pana 100-400 on E-M1, that's why I think that an official answer is the best option in this case.

18. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have dropped my EM1 w/ ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 in the swamp water up to a foot on several occasions and it has been fine. Granted it was in there only long enough to reach down and get it, but I have complete faith in the weather sealing. I also regularly use it in thunderstorms and have had no problems yet.

19. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

With such a long lens I am guessing you are using it to photograph birds, sports, or other animals that are not standing still. If this is true Dual IS is not really necessary as you will be using a higher shutter speed for subject motion as IS only works on camera motion. If you are planning to use this lens for scenery subject isolation and not carry a tripod or monopod then Dual IS will benifit you another stop or two over single IS (body or lens).

20. moonhawk

moonhawk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    Dave Cherry
    Thanks, danelkins. Yes birds and wildlife, sometimes with a tripod, sometimes handheld, sometimes handheld bouncing around in a kayak.
    I like the thought of the zoom and the longer reach, just because in some locations I've found I had too much lens, and sometimes not enough, and sometimes you can't do anything about that. So, I like the thought of the Panny, but I'c be giving up over a stop, and dual IS, which I could live with, but I would hate to give up weather sealing, given the conditions I'll sometimes be in.

Also, the Panny is smaller and lighter, which is a plus.