1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 100-300mm Zoom Q - Slightly Sticky Zoom?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jnewell, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Just got a 100-300mm Panasonic zoom and have been doing to T&E. So far, I'm very pleased. Shooting with a light monopod, most of the shots are surprisingly sharp. :thumbup: The only slight complaint I've got is that the zoom extension seems to be somewhat jerky when zooming back from 300mm to 100mm (it's perfectly smooth going out from 100 to 300mm). Is this a common condition, or is the one I've got an exception?

Thanks -
    John

2. gtbarnes

gtbarnes Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2012
    San Diego, California
    Gary Barnes
    Mine does the same thing, and as far as I know, it's fairly common. My copy also has a bit of wiggle between the extending lens barrel and the rest of the unit. But neither of these seem to affect performance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The one I've recieved from Amazon today does this, I wondered if it was a problem and should be going back, but if its not then fair enough!

• Like Like x 1
  4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I've read this comment numerous times...something that makes me hesitate in purchasing...anyone find it a big deal, or just an annoyance?

5. gtbarnes

gtbarnes Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2012
    San Diego, California
    Gary Barnes
    I usually don't notice it at all now. When I first tested it out, I noticed it quite a bit. But I didn't notice it at all the other night while shooting a paid job, mostly because I was so preoccupied with taking photos. I think I got used to pulling slightly firmer when zooming back out to 100mm, to the point that it doesn't even phase me anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Gotcha, thanks.

7. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Same here, I noticed it at first, but now I don't. Maybe it has worn in and no longer does it or I have got use to it. It gives me great photo's and it is not an issue for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't have a lot of experience in real life situations with it at this point, but I think it will not be an issue. I was genuinely surprised by how well it performed @ ISO 1000 w/ OIS mounted on a GX1 on top of a very slender monopod - very promising results, especially since I have never really gotten on well with monopods (but am going to have to use one at an important series of events next month).

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeh.. Mine (albeit purchased used) doesn't have a smooth zoom action and tends to be kinda sticky. It became increasingly more annoying once I had the camera placed on my gimbal setup. A zoom lever made it a tiny bit easier to accurately and quickly change the focal length:

Panasonic Lens Zoom Lever for Lumix G Series Lenses DMW-ZL1 B&H

Works for several different lenses. At $30 though.. I think its overpriced. Its low profile enough and has other two other knobs (in addition to a lever) placed that it can be useful even when not mounted on a tripod.

I also considered this:

http://cheesycam.com/simple-sunwayfoto-lens-zoom-focus-lever/

They are easily found on ebay. But I decided against it because it looked like its thick enough that it would need to be removed once I wanted to shoot handheld.

• Like Like x 1
  10. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    My 100–300 was sticky at first, but has smoothed out completely. It's only when I see threads like this that I remember that it bothered me when I first bought it.

• Like Like x 1