1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 100-300mm with monopod

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by caimi, Apr 9, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I am sure this has been discussed but I can't find the exact answer so:

When using the Pan 100-300mm on an OMD mounted on a monopod, are the best results achieved with IBIS on or off. I suppose I could trial and error but prefer the benefit of your experience. So which is it? And thanks.

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    If there is any movement, leave IBIS on.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Obviously, trial and error will give you a definitive answer - but I think I would leave it on to start. :cool:

4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've read- but have no direct experience to corroborate- that at the longer focal lengths that this lens is capable of, that OIS is a bit better than IBIS. YMMV of course, and it'd be good to test it out yourself to see which works better for you.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Agreed - I prefer the OIS to IBIS at the longer end of the lens.

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    When I shot long glass on my Canon's I would turn of IS when on tripod, but leave it on for monopod. Of course that was OIS, IBIS.

7. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
  8. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Neither IBIS nor OIS should reduce IQ when using pods until long shutter speeds >1/4 sec.

Several users report OIS a bit better than IBIS @300mm. But I'd turn off IBIS if OIS is left on. In theory, the 2 could conflict.

Since this lens does not have a pod bracket, the camera can easily pivot around the camera. I get the most stability when using a monopod w/ Mu43 by having one hand on the camera body & hold the end of the lens by the shade.

Generally, I only count on a monopod to gain 1 additional stop slower shutter speed reliably when @ 300 w/ these light lenses. I'm using the O75-300 & OIS might do better.

At shorter FL, the monopod+IS will work better. I use a monopod to reduce fatigue more than for additional stability.

IMHO any testing should be to find out how slow a shutter speed you can use reliably @ 300mm.

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I mostly got the lens for shooting horse shows so low light/slow shutte speed generally will not be a factor. My question was more directed at whether or not having the ibis on, while using a monopod, might result in lower sharpness. Perhaps having the same effect as handhoding and having both ibis and ois on at the same time. Has anyone heard of or seen that?

10. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    In my tests of IBIS, I haven't seen an IQ problem w/ the 300 caused by having IS on w/ a monopod down to SS of 1/30th. I've seen test reports that leaving IS on even on a tripod is not a problem until your down to long SS.

The reason is simple. With a native 300mm, using a monopod is only a little different than a stable handheld shot. There is less vertical movement w/ a monopod but in my experience, more horizontal movement. These light weight lens/cameras shake more than big FF & APSC rigs do. So even on a monopod, there is plenty of work for the IS to do.

Haven't seen any report that having both IS on helps any more than just using OIS.

From my experience, the OMD AF is challenged to nail the focus in some circumstances @ 300mm - lower light &/or contrast. That has been a more common IQ killer than stability for me. I've put the focus peaking set-up on a button for use with the 300 to solve that. Also, I use the smallest AF target size & S-AF. Another thing for you to test, is how well C-AF-TR will work with well lit moving horses. Some OMD shooters have reported it will work with larger subjects.

Have fun at the shows!

11. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Many Canon IS lenses now have a tripod detect facility that turns off the IS. It would be nice if future Olympus IBIS cameras/firmware could include this facility. The E-M5 is particularly useful for MF on legacy lenses as the focal length of any non-native lenses can be dialled in.

David