Panasonic 100-300mm - what a lens!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mike kobal, Aug 5, 2011.

1. mike kobal

mike kobal Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2010
    Hey guys,
    I am not a big fan of ultra zoom, much rather prefer high speed primes, small unobtrusive lenses, but this lens is something else, check out the images I posted here
    Snapshots of the day: Abstract Encounters « Mike Kobal
    love the lens, and even more so after walking around with it for a couple of hours, it so small and light.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Great shots. How much PP did you do and in what program? Thanks.

Best regards,
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke's official. I NEED this lens. I'm gonna go roll someone in the alley.
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for the size comparison shots at the bottom :)
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Very interesting use for that lens. Maybe I'll be inspired to take it out more ... I'd primarily been using it for birds.
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I initially wanted it for wildlife, but I often see different takes on familiar scenes walking about cities. I think this is the greatest use of these lenses.....soon as I work up the nerve to roll someone in the alley, I'm getting one.
  7. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Which one is better, this one or the oly 75-300?
    By the way, I already have the oly 14-150, which I think is a nice lens as well
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Most reviewers say the IQ of the 75-300 is slightly better, but it's much more expensive, slower, and lacks stabilization. That's what I've read at least.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This lens isn't an ultra zoom. It's a 3x zoom, which is a normal range. An ultra zoom would be 10x zoom or more, such as a 14-140mm, 50-500mm, etc.
  10. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
    Thanks, Mike. You've reminded me of how much I want this lens!

I have had some pretty good results shooting with an old Tamron 70-300 on the GH2 with ETC (which gives me a 780mm equivalent at the long end).

But shooting extreme telephoto with a manual lens is sometimes frustrating. You've reminded me that I need to get the native 100-300 -- not only for its auto functions and OIS -- but also because it is a quality piece of glass.

Hybrid Camera Revolution
  11. mike kobal

mike kobal Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2010
    @Tom, I always shoot raw, no sharpening, high contrast thats about it
    @Ed, yes I know, however in 35mm terms there is no lens out there covering 200-600mm
  12. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011

This IS an awesome lens! Used it for the first time at a graduation ceremony & got some great shots that no one else could. It's sharp - OIS works incredibly well. I use it on my EPL2 w/ IBIS off. Definitely worth the investment.
  13. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    Yes, it's just awesome piece of glass. I've used it for 3 weeks now during family holidays and I'm more than pleased with it. Oly might be better IQ, but it's slower and no IS. And both play vey important role in such a long tele (200-600 equiv). Will post some pics when I post process them this week.
  14. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I agree, for the cost and size it gives great results