Panasonic 100-300mm on Olympus E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Biro, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Here's a question for anyone who has used the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom on the Olympus E-PM5 body: Do you find the camera's five-axis IBIS or the lens's OIS more effective? Particularly at the long end of the zoom. The traditional logic usually held that IBIS wasn't as effective as in-lens stabilization beyond an effective 500mm. And, in fact, many E-M5 users say the five-axis stabilization is particularly useful for macro shots - which on the face of it is in line with that traditional logic. But things are not always as simple as they seem. What say ye?
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    After non-scientific tests I decided to use the IBIS on my E-M5. Even if the OIS were better I'd still prefer the IBIS since it's easier to just keep it on all the time - whatever the lens.
  3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Same procedure, same results here.
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've done casual comparative tests and I *think* the IBIS is better - but there isn't a lot in it.
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can tell you that for older Olympus bodies that Panasonic's in lens stabilization is better! We have a Panasonic 100-300mm at work and I have used it on all my PENs and found that it works much better with the lens stabilizer on and the body off. Not a little bit better either but very noticeable on the rear LCD.
  6. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    I've found IBIS to be better than OIS on my OMD EM1. I do still use OIS though, as the IBIS is making so much noise, it sounds like it is not really dimensioned appropriately and i'm a little weary that it's damaging itself or at least reducing lifespan...
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For longer focal lengths, my feelings is that OIS is better on when used with the EM5. For shorter focal lengths, no doubt IBIS is better. In line with the tranditional thought of in-body vs in-lens stabilization discussions on longer focal lengths. I like to think that Panasonic designed the OIS in lens specific for the focal lengths 100-300. At times, I can tell that I'm hitting against the limits of the sensor's ability to shift and the image drastically bounces.

Furthermore, there is some hints to an interactions between IBIS and continuous frames. Olympus by default has the option "Continuous + IS off" set to ON (confusing terminology). This means that by default Olympus does not image stabilize in between frames when in continuous mode. That paired with some discussions online make me feel that there isn't enough time between frames to stabilize the frame completely. Perhaps by using OIS I'm off loading some that responsibility from the camera to the lens. OIS on the other hand, kinda feels like it needs to "spin-up" to really start stabilizing the image... but If I'm tracking a moving subject then generally the lens IS is ready to go.

AF on the other hand is also another issue altogether.... ie don't set to the high speed continuous if the subject is moving towards or away from you at a fast pace.. use S-AF and pump.

Of course all of this is unscientific.... just feelings.