Panasonic 100-300mm II vs Olympus 75-300 II used on an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Karin115, May 17, 2017.

1. Karin115

Karin115 Mu-43 Rookie

May 17, 2017
    Hello to you all, I have been searching lately, for information how these two lenses compare to each other when used on the Olympus E-M1 II but I can’t find anything useful yet.
    This will be a lens for the extra reach, in some occasions. That is also the reason that I want to buy a consumerlens instead of an expensive pro like the 100-400mm. My walkaround lens is the Olympus 12-100mm or the 17 mm for streetphotography.

Do I, as an Olympus user, better opt for an Olympus 75-300 II or is the newer weather sealed Panasonic 100-300mm II ,the better choice, despite of not being able to use the dual IS on my Olympus E-M1 II.
    Does it have a newer technologie vs the 75-300 mark II, that I can also profit of on the OM-D E-M1 mark II?
    The mark II version of the Olympus lens is at least 5 years on the market in the meantime.

I know about the cashback on the Olympus, but I want to to go for the best of the two options. If there is no other difference in quality, in your eyes, I will of course decide for the Olympus. Does anyone of you have experience with these lenses used on an Olympus body. I can find enough information about the Panasonic 100-300 Mark I but I am specially interested in the results of the Panasonic Mark II.

Which one would you prefer for using on your Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II?
    My other gear: Olympus 17mm 1.8, Olympus 60mm macro and Olympus 12-100mm.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    When you exclude the DUAL IS, because you are using an Olympus body, the only differentiator is the Weather Sealing, although quite often you may find that in that kind of weather you won't have enough light anyway.

I would probably get the Pana if the price difference isn't too big, but if money is a concern and the Oly is cheaper, it is just as good. In sharpness they are probably equal. Aperture is only 1/3 stop slower on the Olympus. A marginal difference at best.

If you think that you may in the distant future swap to Panasonic or get a second body that would be another argument for the Pana. Avoid the old Pana, because it suffers from a slow focusing/aperture mechanism.

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    If you want to use ProCapture, you must use an Olympus lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I missed that. In that case definitely go with the Oly lens.

5. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i am in the exact same boat, i want a tele and cant decide between them, the panny has ois which i know won't work in sync with the em1.2 but it gives u the option of using one or the other, in body or lens, reports say lens ois works better than in body on the em1.2. pro capture would be nice but is it enough to push the oly over the edge, not sure, i am hoping to follow this and see if some one has a comparison on the 2 on a em1.2

6. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Neither lens will be as good as a used 50-200 SWD + EC-14. No contest.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Karin115

Karin115 Mu-43 Rookie

May 17, 2017
    I have seriously considered buying this lens, I even had a deal for a 2nd hand for 300 euro's excl. EC-14. But its too heavy for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's actually f/6.7 not f/6.3, so it's 1/2 stop slower. But as you say, that's still pretty marginal. Same reason it's hard to justify a move to APS-C from M4/3 when they're only 2/3 stop apart.

I think the biggest advantage really is just the weather-sealing. With the old AF and aperture motors on the 100-300 v1 I found that it would miss focus a bit, particularly on the long end, and that the maximum burst rate was quite slow, both of which were pretty annoying. The 100-300 v2 fixes all those problems and adds weather sealing, so it seems pretty appealing.

The way Olympus limits Pro Capture is a huge disappointment, but if you don't need any weather-sealing, a good reason to choose the 75-300. It's pretty easy to understand the technical reasons why Panasonic can't implement Dual IS and DFD focusing with Olympus lenses, since it requires an immense amount of in-house design and testing information. But Pro Capture is just capturing the feed off the sensor. Panasonic already does it with 4K and 6K Pre-Burst, and that works with any lens (even old crusty manual lenses).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Of the two, I'd recommend the Panasonic. That little bit faster; nicer OOF rendering IMO; more substantial build quality (the extra bit of weight is a help when it comes to holding it steady); weather-sealing; the option of using its OIS which some find to be more effective than IBIS at longer focal lengths. It's a great lens.

One thing - the zoom ring works in the opposite direction to Olympus lenses, which may or may not be a source of irritation for you — it isn't for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Compared to what!?! :confused-53:

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    He was referring to the 4/3 50-200, which is twice the weight of the lenses we are discussing here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I did own the 100-300, 75-300 and 4/3 50-200 all at the same time. The 50-200 is a large beast for sure when compared to the m4/3 lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Karin115

Karin115 Mu-43 Rookie

May 17, 2017
    Indeed, the weight of the 4/3 50-200mm incl. MMF-3 adapter is 995 grams, without the EC-14. That's way to much for me as I have shoulder problems, the main reason I moved from Canon 5D mark II to Olympus Em-D E-m5, 5 years ago.
    The 2 above mentioned lenses I am trying to compare, are much less heavy. Olympus 423 grams, Panasonic 520 grams.
    I know, when you want quality you perhaps have to make some concessions. And some weight will help regarding stabilization, but I have nevertheless seen amazing results with the 75-300 and 100-300mm. I have read a lot of stuff regarding the way of photographing with these lower-weight lenses and I am convinced that with a lot of practicing and fine-tuned camera-settings I can get some satisfying results.
    The only thing that I am also concerned about is the quality in less good light circumstances.
    At 300mm my widest aperture is 5,6 (Panasonic) or 6,7 (Olympus) I will have to play more with the ISO / shuttertime settings.

14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Where was that thread we were discussing the cross brand weather sealing at? I really need to go to the camera store with my EM1 so I can look at some Panasonic lenses to see how that all really works together.

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I have the 75-300 and find it a decent lens out to about 250mm and basically useless after 280mm. As you mentioned, the light weight actually makes it way harder to shoot then a heavier lens. I have a much easier time getting sharp shots without thinking using my 150/2 with EC-20, for me it's the perfect weight for handholding. You are also correct about in less then good light having to raise the ISO, which is going to effect IQ. I didn't use the 75-300 for long because shortly after I picked up the EM1 (used it with an EM5) and the 50-200, but always struggled to shoot at base ISO. Most of my photography is in the swamps here in Southeast Texas and anything slower then f4 and it's hard to keep shutter speed at 1/1000 (needed to freeze a birds strike) and ISO 200. I recently picked up a Sigma 50-500 in the 4/3's mount to play around with (it has the similar aperture range as the 75-300) and struggle with balancing shutter speed and ISO.

If the weight of the 50-200 is really to much then your only option are one of the xx-300 lenses and the compromises they bring to the table for that light weight.

16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I would think it doesn't matter whether Panasonic or Olympus. The sealing point is the o-ring around the periphery of the lens side of the mount. Since both brands are using the same mount, by spec, you'd think the o-ring should work on either brand.

17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    You would think, we had a discussion about it someplace and had photos showing the differences. I can't remember which combo it was but the seal actually goes across screws in the camera mounting plate. I don't own anything Panasonic so can't look at it myself. Someone actually measured the diameter of the sealing o-ring and it's different between the brands. I think it was Panasonics was wider and actually crossed over the screws holding the camera mounting plate on Olympus bodies. It came up in some thread and I don't remember what the actually thread was about so can't find it now.

18. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
  19. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    That's the one, thanks. Since I don't own or desire to own anything Panasonic I have not really followed up on this. But................If I did or wanted to it's something I would seriously look at since I need weather sealing for what I put my gear thru. Based on the measurements from that thread I would say they are not cross compatible.

20. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    i was in the same boat as the op a few months ago (but i use the rm5ii). one of the most helpful things i did was check each lenses image gallery. i was also in conversation with a couple of members who owned both lenses.

with regards to the image gallery, i found the p100-300 images more pleasing in terms of color and quite sharper, at least to my eye. i also noted that some of the shots were shot at max fl and aperture, and though they were just a little tad softer, were perfectly usable and again quite pleasing to my eye. these were pictures taken by version 1, so i thought that the improved af of v2 might even help it get sharper images in certain situations. these observations were further reinforced with said conversations.

so my little tip to you is check the image threads first then try to talk to some members who have both lenses, like alex g (ty for all the advice bud), and check if there is some compelling feature you might want from either lens - in that order.