Showcase Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 Mk II

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pretty happy with this lens so far.

3F7904ED-AAD3-449A-A49F-634AFF901A52.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gtm

Mu-43 Regular
Still trying to get a real feel for this lens. Personally I find the sharpness/detail of the picture of the leaves to be quite acceptable (about 7' away). The moon shot is a big crop and just OK. Soft looking through a lot of atmosphere? 300mm (the branch) seems a little soft. I find I delete an awful lot of pictures due to bad technique, particularly at longer distances. Considering the cost I'm satisfied with what it does.
Bahama's brown.jpg
Sept moon.jpg
Branch and new growth.jpg

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Cross-posted from the travel forum (but with slightly different editing).

P1040585.jpg

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Still trying to get a real feel for this lens. Personally I find the sharpness/detail of the picture of the leaves to be quite acceptable (about 7' away). The moon shot is a big crop and just OK. Soft looking through a lot of atmosphere? 300mm (the branch) seems a little soft. I find I delete an awful lot of pictures due to bad technique, particularly at longer distances. Considering the cost I'm satisfied with what it does.
can't comment on the 100-300. But I have the 75-300 Olympus and make similar comments.
But it CAN perform.
I'd imagine this to be the same.
for me Light is No 1, but I also play with aperture and shutter speed.
Somewhere in the midst of these settings there is a 'better' spot that helps and is noticeable.
Mine at 300 falls away but again, I've had some (a few?) exceptional ones at 300!

I'm sure with practise you will find that will perform.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
These are crops - I was on a boardwalk and couldn't get any closer.

5-2D203489e.jpg

1-2D203467e.jpg

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Cropped for composition only.

3-2D274019e.jpg

1-2D274005e.jpg

2-2D274007e.jpg

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
If I only used ISO800 this pic would have been sharper. The extra 2 stops of light would allow for a faster shutter than 1/60 hand held at 600mm equivalent. The flippy screen makes these shots difficult. A tilty screen would be easier to hand hold with 2 hands.
PCH Deer 2.JPG

Mu-43 Legend
I just bought this lens off the boards. Looking forward to playing with it. I've only ever used the mki before. Hoping this is a little better at 300mm.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
1-2D274232e.jpg

1-2D274247e.jpg

romzL

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
romz

I have read the whole thread and saw majority if not all of your shots were the clearest and sharpest! I have this lens ordered and cant wait to get it. I believe your using an Oly body? I am planning to use this on my EM5 MK2. Also, what is the the usual PP that you do for your shots? They are all outstanding! Sorry, lots of questions. Just so excited for this lens. Thanks!

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Little guy was all over the place, had to work hard to keep track of him. :)

2019-11-06_10-53-01_PB060070.jpg

2019-11-06_10-53-41_PB060074.jpg

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Went to test the New Firmware 2.0 at Salton Sea, but there were not many creatures that day. The light was good, but the wind picked up. And seems the migration of birds has left the area for warmer temps. All that could be seen were the resident creatures that frequent the area around the visitor center.

These 2 ground owls stood by their burrow for over an hour waiting for nightfall.

Below front and back lit pic of the owls.
25 Nov SS G9 (10).jpg

25 Nov SS G9 (26).jpg

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I have read the whole thread and saw majority if not all of your shots were the clearest and sharpest! I have this lens ordered and cant wait to get it. I believe your using an Oly body? I am planning to use this on my EM5 MK2. Also, what is the the usual PP that you do for your shots? They are all outstanding! Sorry, lots of questions. Just so excited for this lens. Thanks!
Thanks. Sorry about the delay, I thought I already replied but it's missing so maybe I didn't actually post.

Anyway, yes, I am using on an E-M1 Mk2. The C-AF on the E-M1 Mk2 is very good now, and the software focus limiter really helps this lens since the lens itself doesn't have one.

I'm getting steadily lazier with my PP these days. It's generally crop first for composition, set white balance correctly, set exposure correctly, bring down highlights, sometimes push shadows (but not too much), set black and white points correctly. For strong subject matter I will selectively sharpen focal areas with a soft brush.

romzL

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
romz
Thanks. Sorry about the delay, I thought I already replied but it's missing so maybe I didn't actually post.

Anyway, yes, I am using on an E-M1 Mk2. The C-AF on the E-M1 Mk2 is very good now, and the software focus limiter really helps this lens since the lens itself doesn't have one.

I'm getting steadily lazier with my PP these days. It's generally crop first for composition, set white balance correctly, set exposure correctly, bring down highlights, sometimes push shadows (but not too much), set black and white points correctly. For strong subject matter I will selectively sharpen focal areas with a soft brush.

thanks for the reply and i appreciate it! got the lens now and below are some of my sample shots. all of them are on the 300mm mark (and cropped) so i dunno why some are saying that its not sharp at the fullest zoom. maybe i just got a good copy :D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hUaJ6H]
49160756251_deb3bda73c_b.jpg
_B240587-01 by Romz, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hUaHEC]
49160754796_f8285a7c3d_b.jpg
OI000756-01 by Romz, on Flickr[/URL]

Latest threads

Top Bottom