Showcase Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 Mk II

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Easy to get too close with this lens and end up with shots like this! :)

P6291157.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kalifornier

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Predator & Prey
P1710345-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
1-2D080468e.jpg

2-2D080519e.jpg

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Just purchased this lens at a good price despite having the Olly 75-300 which I now intend to sell. My take is that it has a slight edge on the Olly other than I'm finding quite a lot of vignetting. I haven't seen much of a mention of this when I researched it. Also, I thought that Olly bodies would recognise the length but when I looked at the IS menu it was showing 9mm? Is this normal? perhaps that affected the vignetting?
I had my first outing with it and obviously it made a difference as I had lots of blurred shots, even at shutter speeds of 200. Anyways, here's two of my best X posted to Birds. First with the vignetting and 2nd my attempt to clean it up

P7230144.jpg

48353385142_4bec1e4271_o.jpg
Australian Pelican (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

48353257861_bf0acf3e8d_o.jpg
Australian Pelican (1) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Just purchased this lens at a good price despite having the Olly 75-300 which I now intend to sell. My take is that it has a slight edge on the Olly other than I'm finding quite a lot of vignetting. I haven't seen much of a mention of this when I researched it. Also, I thought that Olly bodies would recognise the length but when I looked at the IS menu it was showing 9mm? Is this normal? perhaps that affected the vignetting?
I had my first outing with it and obviously it made a difference as I had lots of blurred shots, even at shutter speeds of 200. Anyways, here's two of my best X posted to Birds. First with the vignetting and 2nd my attempt to clean it up

View attachment 762866

View attachment 762867 Australian Pelican (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

View attachment 762868 Australian Pelican (1) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
I've noticed vignetting on all the Panasonic telephotos I've owned...

The IBIS focal length is only used for manual lenses, you don't need to do anything for an electronic lens. Interesting you mention blurry shots - I always thought I just had poor technique. Shutter shock perhaps?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I've noticed vignetting on all the Panasonic telephotos I've owned...

The IBIS focal length is only used for manual lenses, you don't need to do anything for an electronic lens. Interesting you mention blurry shots - I always thought I just had poor technique. Shutter shock perhaps?

I was thinking that. I'll only be shooting statics with this combo so I've switched to electronic shutter.

ZapWizard

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
48328269752_1683d18b31_o.jpg

Taken at Mesa Verde National Park. This photo was taken from this perspective. The area in the photo is at the extreme left/middle of the image.

With the amazing GX-8 VFD the views through the camera were better than you could see with binoculars. It also pulled lots of detail from the shaded area without blowing out the highlights.

StanS

Mu-43 Regular
Crawley, West Sussex UK / Plovdiv, Bulgaria
P1370206.JPG

One of the first images I took with this lens. To be honest, it is sharper than I expected, although a good shooting technique is required.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
1-2D252119e.jpg

petabb

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Phi Nguyen
Trying out the new lens
P1045152-Enhanced.png
P1045215-Enhanced.png
1.png
2.png

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I've been considering this lens for a little while, as my current max reach is with the trusty and affordable Vario 45-150mm. I had my doubts about the sharpness, but you all have done a great job selling me.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been considering this lens for a little while, as my current max reach is with the trusty and affordable Vario 45-150mm. I had my doubts about the sharpness, but you all have done a great job selling me.

Agreed, I'm perfectly happy with mine! Wide open at 300mm!!!

super-mario-bros.gif

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Agreed, I'm perfectly happy with mine! Wide open at 300mm!!!

View attachment 773094
I don't understand the Mario reference.

The major difficulty is jumping to a supertelephoto focal length - atmospheric conditions (moisture, heat waves) between you and the subject, and lack of steadiness (wind and hand shake) matter first, only when those aspects are sorted will lens sharpness even be discernible.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I don't understand the Mario reference.

The major difficulty is jumping to a supertelephoto focal length - atmospheric conditions (moisture, heat waves) between you and the subject, and lack of steadiness (wind and hand shake) matter first, only when those aspects are sorted will lens sharpness even be discernible.
I agree there. I usually only use these type of zooms to get closer to creatures that aren’t really that far away, but they won’t let me get any closer without fleeing. Or maybe I like not getting any closer!

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
A water landing with 100-300 II. Not the best angle, and a huge crop.
Water Landing.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom