Showcase Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 Mk II

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Just purchased this lens at a good price despite having the Olly 75-300 which I now intend to sell. My take is that it has a slight edge on the Olly other than I'm finding quite a lot of vignetting. I haven't seen much of a mention of this when I researched it. Also, I thought that Olly bodies would recognise the length but when I looked at the IS menu it was showing 9mm? Is this normal? perhaps that affected the vignetting?
I had my first outing with it and obviously it made a difference as I had lots of blurred shots, even at shutter speeds of 200. Anyways, here's two of my best X posted to Birds. First with the vignetting and 2nd my attempt to clean it up

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Australian Pelican (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Australian Pelican (1) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Just purchased this lens at a good price despite having the Olly 75-300 which I now intend to sell. My take is that it has a slight edge on the Olly other than I'm finding quite a lot of vignetting. I haven't seen much of a mention of this when I researched it. Also, I thought that Olly bodies would recognise the length but when I looked at the IS menu it was showing 9mm? Is this normal? perhaps that affected the vignetting?
I had my first outing with it and obviously it made a difference as I had lots of blurred shots, even at shutter speeds of 200. Anyways, here's two of my best X posted to Birds. First with the vignetting and 2nd my attempt to clean it up

View attachment 762866

View attachment 762867Australian Pelican (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

View attachment 762868Australian Pelican (1) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr
I've noticed vignetting on all the Panasonic telephotos I've owned...

The IBIS focal length is only used for manual lenses, you don't need to do anything for an electronic lens. Interesting you mention blurry shots - I always thought I just had poor technique. Shutter shock perhaps?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
I've noticed vignetting on all the Panasonic telephotos I've owned...

The IBIS focal length is only used for manual lenses, you don't need to do anything for an electronic lens. Interesting you mention blurry shots - I always thought I just had poor technique. Shutter shock perhaps?

I was thinking that. I'll only be shooting statics with this combo so I've switched to electronic shutter.

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Regular
I've been considering this lens for a little while, as my current max reach is with the trusty and affordable Vario 45-150mm. I had my doubts about the sharpness, but you all have done a great job selling me.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Agreed, I'm perfectly happy with mine! Wide open at 300mm!!!

View attachment 773094
I don't understand the Mario reference.

I've been considering this lens for a little while, as my current max reach is with the trusty and affordable Vario 45-150mm. I had my doubts about the sharpness, but you all have done a great job selling me.
The major difficulty is jumping to a supertelephoto focal length - atmospheric conditions (moisture, heat waves) between you and the subject, and lack of steadiness (wind and hand shake) matter first, only when those aspects are sorted will lens sharpness even be discernible.

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Regular
I don't understand the Mario reference.

The major difficulty is jumping to a supertelephoto focal length - atmospheric conditions (moisture, heat waves) between you and the subject, and lack of steadiness (wind and hand shake) matter first, only when those aspects are sorted will lens sharpness even be discernible.
I agree there. I usually only use these type of zooms to get closer to creatures that aren’t really that far away, but they won’t let me get any closer without fleeing. Or maybe I like not getting any closer!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom