Showcase Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 (mk I)

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Version I?
Yes, I have a version I.

Interesting point about shutter shock. In my test series, by my guestimation, dof should have been roughly 25ft, and I know my subjects were moving, but it's hard to say if the problem was shutter shock or questionable AF technique. Another thing to think about in my next test session.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I looked at the Flickr original size and it seemed to me that only some of the pine needles were well focused. But, not knowing whether the image was a 100% crop or heavily downsampled makes it difficult to come to any firm conclusion. My experience with the lens (used on an Olympus body, mostly E-M5 II, using only IBIS) was that, at distances relatively close to minimum focusing distance, say, under 30'/10m, it has the potential to render more than adequate detail at 300mm. But as the distance lengthens, focus seems to become more unreliable.

Having reviewed a couple k images shot with the lens suggests to me that when using this lens I really need to watch my technique. I have shots at distance at 300mm that have stunning clarity and others that are just so much mush, either from misplaced focus or stabilization failure. For me, it comes down to this: reliable rendering of detail seems to improve as I am closer to the subject, the focal length diminishes, iso stays near base, the shutter speed approaches 1/focal length (which on a 2x crop camera is still at least a stop gain) and the aperture approaches f/8. Not much different from any other lens except telephotos magnify any flaws in technique.

I just checked. Most of the crop was to make it an 8 x 10 format. I took a bit off the bottom and left, it was about 25% crop. It is no cleaner at full size, and the needles you show in your post are not sharp. The entire photo is soft. I am going to chalk this up to shutter speed and go check the IBIS setting on the camera.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Well, a little better. Still not where it should be, but I'll get there. Eventually. Maybe. Someday...

At least I caught the Blue Jay in mid-preen.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
birds_01 by telecast, on Flickr

birds by telecast, on Flickr

Phil.H

Mu-43 Top Veteran

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro

Had some fun photographing the moon. Not sure why JPEG artifacts started showing up after uploading the photo here. The sky looks much nicer on my computer.

Image shot on my G80 at 300mm, f/8, 1/20 s, ISO 200. 9 images stacked.

Phil.H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Cross posted.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 II
Took this image a few days ago using my Pany G9 and the Panasonic 100-300mm f4-5.6 II
GR

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
1st few pics thru this lens on OMD-EM5

rpatodia

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom