Showcase Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 (mk I)

scott

Mu-43 Veteran
My 100-300mm wasn't supposed to ship until late December or January, but all of a sudden it showed up yesterday. Now, my plan is to use this lens for outdoor, existing-light wildlife photography, so here, quite logically, is an indoor, spotlit (spotlighted?) picture of my kid reading a poem at the school talent show. At least he's wearing a cat costume.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Almost unedited -- I just tweaked the levels slightly.
Larger version here.

I'm hoping we'll have some good weather this weekend for getting bird pictures, too. :)

scott

Mu-43 Veteran
Tufted Titmouse from the first set of bird pictures:

(bigger version here)

A small set of test pictures here.

scott

Mu-43 Veteran
Here are a couple more test images from the new lens. I don't mean to claim that they're great pictures, but they seem to be useful test examples.

Lousy composition, but a good example of what the lens can do:

View attachment 154349
Larger versions here.

JCD

Mu-43 Veteran
Here are a couple more test images from the new lens. I don't mean to claim that they're great pictures, but they seem to be useful test examples.
these photos are simply stunning, great sharpness and details; this 100-300 is definitely a must buy :thumbup:

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
I spent a bit of time just looking at MTF charts the other day, and of the micro four thirds zooms, this one looks very sharp throughout the image. I'm not sure if panasonic measure slightly different to olympus but from the MTFs alone (not the best way to tell but still an accurate measure) all the pana lenses are sharper than their oly equivalents! c'mon olympus! where did all your quality optics go?

JCD

Mu-43 Veteran
I spent a bit of time just looking at MTF charts the other day, and of the micro four thirds zooms, this one looks very sharp throughout the image. I'm not sure if panasonic measure slightly different to olympus but from the MTFs alone (not the best way to tell but still an accurate measure) all the pana lenses are sharper than their oly equivalents! c'mon olympus! where did all your quality optics go?
well, it seems that panasonic is using the partnership with leica as it should

greerd

Mu-43 Regular
Here's a squirrel shot I shot the other day with my 100-300 hand-held through the deck window. The zoom ring is stiff compared the my 45-200 and not as smooth, but I like the creamy OOF and the reach.

agoglanian

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Abram Goglanian
So do you guys think this would be a much better buy than the 45-200? At present I only have the GF1 so this lens probably wouldn't balance too well with that camera, but I intend to buy the GH2 when I can and I think this would be matched pretty well to that camera.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
awesome shot Doug!
I think they make the lens a little stiffer deliberately so when it is facing downwards the weight doesn't extend it - similar to the oly 75-300.
would love to get my hands on this lens!

greerd

Mu-43 Regular
awesome shot Doug!
I think they make the lens a little stiffer deliberately so when it is facing downwards the weight doesn't extend it - similar to the oly 75-300.
would love to get my hands on this lens!
Thanks Kosta, I have the 7-14, 20, 14-45, 45-200, and now the 100-300. I think this will be my favorite lens as I'm starting to like shooting birdies and such. I haven't used a tripod yet as the Christmas tree is hogging my spot, but for hand-held at 300mm I can't complain. If I shot exclusively Olympus I would of waited until the m.70-300 was tested with some real life shooting before I purchased but I shoot with the G1 at this point so...

greerd

Mu-43 Regular
So do you guys think this would be a much better buy than the 45-200? At present I only have the GF1 so this lens probably wouldn't balance too well with that camera, but I intend to buy the GH2 when I can and I think this would be matched pretty well to that camera.
Can't answer that for ya, the 45-200 is a great buy IMHO, but there are alot more samples on dpr forum. Look for mark1000, as he is using the GH2 and 100-300. He was about the first to get either and has been posting samples continuously for the last little while.

sinophilia

Mu-43 Regular
Oops I kept looking for this thread and yet I missed it all the same. I will repost here two photos I took today. To me, this lens was a great purchase.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinophilia/5273530731/" title="Robin by sinophilia, on Flickr">
"1000" alt="Robin" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinophilia/5273530737/" title="Robin by sinophilia, on Flickr">
"1000" alt="Robin" /></a>

sinophilia

Mu-43 Regular
Definitely get the 100-300 over the 45-200! It's quite light and compact even on the GF1. Of course it's less versatile, but much more useful when you really need a telephoto lens.

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Guys, lots of nice images from the 100 -300. Congrats!
A great lens.

Here are two taken with the GH2/100-300 combo

Stock Bill Kingfisher
"768" height="1024" alt="Stock Bill Kingfisher" /></a>[/img]

Yellow Bittern
"1024" height="768" alt="Yellow Bitten" /></a>[/img]

thank you for viewing and have a nice day

ric

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom