Panasonic 100-300 problem...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hey guys, last week received my brand new P100-300 and on saturday went "birding" to test it out. everything was perfect till i got home. Every time i go shooting and come back home I clean my gear, blower, wipes, etc. when i was cleaning the lens noticed a little tiny hair on the front element, i cleaned it, but it was still there, then i noticed that the hair was inside the lens. All of the images ive got from that day using that lens, were clean and that tiny hair doesn't affect my images so far, but what worries me is that I KNOW the lens is "open" somewhere in the body. and in the future could be a problem, the dealer is quite nice and of course is open to swap it for another copy, the problem with that is that i know how this "mid-class" lenses quality control is not that good and its almost a matter of luck getting a good or bad copy. And if i change it, im afraid of getting a faulty copy and what not. anyway. any suggestions on what to do?. keep it or change it?.

all comments are more than welcome.
  2. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    I'd swap it out if it's not too much trouble. I don't think a good quality control is so bad that a good copy is hard to find. Maybe it's tough to find an exceptional copy but I have been pleased with the results of mine. Very sharp at 100 then gets a bit softer as you move out.
  3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Probably came that way from the factory...bad...but most zooms suck a lot of air and so get dust inside. There is a great blog post at on taking pictures with a fractured front element - it affected IQ less than I would *ever* have thought possible. :biggrin:
  4. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Small objects on the front element don't effect the image at the sensor much at all. You can have a completely cracked front element and the image degradation will be a slight loss of contrast and greater susceptibility to flares.

Dust/small objects on the rear element, where the image is nearly focused, or on telecentric lenses, in focus, matters a great deal.

The main reason to arrange a return is not for image quality, but to maximize resale value as many buyers will refuse a lens with any visible flaws.
  5. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    Are there really that many "bad copies" out there ? Sounds like a bit of an urban myth, possibly from people blaming the quality lens for softness arising from hand shake etc ? Anyway, I'd swap it.
  6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Chris, Remember that almost any zoom lens expands and contracts to move the lens elements closer or farther apart, and to do so air has to be ingested or expelled. The lens can't be sealed, so unfortunately air (and whatever contaminants it is carrying) goes into and out of the lens. I suspect that is how the hair got ingested, and it's gonna happen again... sometime.

Exchange the lens, but be prepared. And good luck,
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks guys for all the advice, basically i had the same thoughts as all of you, so the lens is on its way back to my supplier.

yes it might be, and i wish it could be a myth. but ive read it quite a lot lately not just with this lens...but yeah! hope my new copy is as good or better as the one i got... thanks!.