Panasonic 100-300 price increase

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mcasan, Apr 1, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I was considering getting the wife and I Panasonic 100-300 for shooting wildlife. The price a couple of days ago at B&H, Amason...etc was around $495. Today the price is $598. That is an approximately 20% price increase. :eek: 

Did Panasonic do that across the board?

2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I also saw that when I was about to pull the trigger.

It must have something to do with their leaving the m43 market segment. :wink:

I'm in no rush, so I'll just postpone the purchase.

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, that must be it. :wink:

4. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I was about to buy it too, but like Canonista, I don't feel a particular rush and will hold off.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Very little stuff sells for MSRP on Amazon and places like that, at least when a few months have passed since release. If you check the price history on camelcamelcamel for Amazon, you can see the price has consistently since July 2011 been around 500, with a few short dips above and beyond (ranging between 450 and 600)

7. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    probably promotion period ended. I was looking at GM1 kit, it was down to 659, now jumps back to 759
    Also there is a sales tax hike in JP, not sure if that has something to do with this.

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I got two Panasonic 100-300 this morning from PCNation, an authorized Panasonic dealer. They were around $50 each cheaper than at B&H, Amazon, Adorma...etc. That takes some of the sting out of the price increase.

9. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    See a couple of posts above, this is normal fluctuation. If anything, it probably means a really good sale will happen in the next month or so. The 100-300 has been selling for around $500 consistently since mid-2011.It is not due to an end to any promotion period..

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I ordered the lenses as we got the tripod collar rings in from the maker in Germany on Monday. The delivered price for the rings was just under $200 for the pair. Not inexpensive, but they seem worth it. You can find videos of the rings on Youtube if you are interested.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.