1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 100-300 performance

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jl-lb.ms, May 1, 2011.

1. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    What's everyone's experience with the 100-300? I have a new copy and it's nearly impossible to shoot birds in flight. The lens seeks all over the place and won't lock onto the bird.

thanks,

John

2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

jl-lb.ms,

Are you using a tripod/bean bags? How are you metering? What f-stop are you using? Wgat ISO are you using? I am new with mine, but I am very favorably impressed. No, this lens is not a Nikon f/4, 600 mm, but then it doesn'tcost $13,000 plus and take a Gitzo Series 3 or bigger to stabilize it. From what I am learning, this is a specialized lens that only works best under limited conditions.

Best regards,
    Tom

3. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    This was shooting off-hand; aperture priority, average metering. The light was enough to get suitable shutter speeds. Again, the problem I'm having is that the lens won't acquire the target, especially a bird in motion. I'm getting a reasonable number of keepers on static subjects, especially when I can get close enough. I have other lenses that I can shoot off a tripod, and I was planning to use this off-hand for rapidly moving birds. Here's one such still:

5684963581_0ac2c0b77a_b.

• Like Like x 1
  4. What camera are you using? Some of the Olympus bodies have a large AF point which users have reported be a bit indiscriminate at times. I don't know what the Panasonic bodies are like, although I have seen a large series of surfing shots taken on a GH2 + 100-300 which included a lot of misses, but that could be for a variety of reasons not necessarily the fault of the camera or lens.

5. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    Using a Panny G1. Definitely not shooting at arm's length with one of the others.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I use my 100-300mm with a G1 and so far haven't had any problems. On the other hand... I haven't tried to capture a lot of birds in flight. This is typical of the results I get. The image is downsized for the web but I think it still retains good detail. Click on the image twice to get a larger size.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Similar experience with the 45-200mm lens. Especially under low contrast conditions. One reason why all my posted bird images are stationary photos.

For people who have used both the 45-200 & 100-300mm, notice any differences in speed of focus capture?